Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Mix rescue attempt
Hey guys, New here, but wanted to drop my version of this rescue.. I enjoy rescues, because the present challenges I sometimes create for myself admittedly, and help me avoid making mistakes in the recording process by questioning why things are the way they are.. On this particular track there were a few issues that immediately popped out to me.. 1. drum stem.. I like having control over the individual elements.. so.. I used an eq, and a noise gate to create template tracks for 1 kick layer, and 2 snare layers.. cut the lows in the main stem.. on drum stem 2 I just wanted to give it a funky vibe.. so.. I used pedalboard effects.. auto-wah on one side, and a phaser on the other.. I made alot of mono elements stereo with sample delays... allowing my ideal side for each element to lead.. Also gated a ton of room sound out of the vocals.. I'm open to talk more specifically on anything, and open to ideas on how I could have handled anything that may have improved my mix.. thanks for your time....

.mp3    MixRescuePractice.mp3 --  (Download: 5.63 MB)

Brilliant mix! Really top notch work here.
Yes I was also lamenting the lack of separate drum parts. I used EQ to try to enhance the kick thump and used a send to a gate only to isolate the snare for fx send but multiple gates to isolate the other parts is genius!

You have given me something to experiment with later on.
Wonderful!
So many songs, so little time!
I like your guitar sounds.
Hello Bruno

Yes, it's a nice mix, very well balanced. Nice to listen to and creative.
I would point out some details that could be improved, if i may ...

I perceive your kick as a bit loud compared to the rest, it jumps out of the mix and could be a little more glued with the bass. Why not parallel compressing both, bass and kick to the same comp and feedback that track to the mix till it glues ? Or just lower it a bit in volume, and also around 150-200Hz.

You worked pretty fine on the stereo field using wide panning and the left/right scene is really splendid... which leads me to the point : the lack of depth i feel ! It's so wide i whish i could also listen some material in the back of the mix, away from the speakers, if you know what i mean (take for examples many mixes of Hugh Padgham, where the drums really feel present, but also behind the other instruments).
Like a painting, it's hard i know, but it's how we recognize a great mix ... fake the listener and make him imagine that he could dive in the mix ...

But in general, this is a really good job ! Just trying to push you to other limits ... Wink

Cheers from france
Hiya Xabi
LOL! When working on my mixes I now hear in my head you telling me "air and depth" Smile Thanks for keeping me on the ball!

Maybe for inexperienced mixers you could explain a little by what you mean by these terms.

My interpretation is:
'air' relates to the very high frequencies, 12kHz and above and needs to be made selectively on instruments that really benefit from enhancements in this frequency range (such as *some* cymbals and voices)

'depth' relates to the sense of space that you create through:
a) sending certain elements of the mix to a medium to long reverb - the more you send to the reverb, the further back in the mix they sound and/or
b) by reducing the amount of high frequencies on an instrument (such as using a HF shelf) to put the instrument back in the listener's perception of where it sits in the 'room', even if creating a drier mix with short reverb.

Have I got it right? Hope I haven't totally messed up the meaning!

Dags
So many songs, so little time!