Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Analog Dude
Thanks for taking time for me. I too had to refoam the woofers. I used to work an a JBL warranty center, so it came easy to me. I've got Crown amps that will power them beautifully. Thanks for reminding me of the caps. They will definitely need to be replaced.
The 4313 is a very flat response monitor and should be OK for my needs. We'll see.

Thanks again............Curley
Had a listen to your first and last mix. Good development ! First is maybe loud but not clear. Last is much more coherent.
Im afraid I agree on the snare bein a bit thin. And the eq leave the instruments fightin over mid freq real estate instead of leavin space for each one
I have the feeling this would sound great bein played very loud (except the piano would really hit you hard then)
Hmm let me rephrase that, this sounds like some mixes I made when I mixed at much higher lvl than now. The ears get tired fast and loose perspective.
Do you mix at high volume ? If so its good advice to use lower volume, speakers when youre ready for that and take breaks evry hour at least, preferably listnin to some cd in same genre and soundin like you want the mix to sound.
Another good technique if say piano and gtr fight for space decide where each instr important sound is and cut little holes in the other round that frequency, pretty narrow q.
If you want piano to cut at 1,2k you cut hole in gtr there, and gtr sound wonderfull round 335 you cut hole in piano there.

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I swear you guys must be watching me as I do this. I do mix loudly. I am afraid I revert to many bad habit of the old live days.
I am very grateful to have folks such as yourself that will take time to help others develop. I am very early in my Pro Tools discovery, so every reply for me is an opportunity to learn more.
I modified some of my practices a tried them on Uncle Dads "Who I am". I hope it will show some improvement. I will post it to the appropriate group. I hope you will have time to listen without interrupting your own projects.

Thank you again.....................Curley
Glad if it helps you - just lucky guessing I think, its very common to do so, Ive been there myself ...
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
It's not that we're looking over your sohulder, it's that we've all done the same things so we're just reliving our own experiences. Wink

The important thing here is set your monitors (whether headphones or near fields) to a given volume and LEAVE THEM THERE and also never move the master fader off 0 dB. Your listening volume should be moderate. If you're setting your tinitis off, back off on the monitors a bit. Get your mix sounding good at that volume. Then from time to time, push the volume up to a normal listening level (studio guys say 85 dB at your chair is the best target) and check frequency balance, since our ears respond differently at different levels. If it's off, turn your volume control back down where it was and make adjustments, whether that's adjusting the level of various faders or digging into the EQ on a specific instrument. So mix loud (that is, set your gain structure so that you drive the PPM meter on the master fader up to pretty near the yellow), listen soft, and check louder from time to time.

To what Voelund said, another good recommendation is to switch between different sorts of monitors from time to time to force your ears to un-adjust. I mix with headphones (my environment is kinda like yours in that I can't mix at proper levels without risking eviction) but I have two different pairs I use that have different response. Thing is, I know what those differences are and use them to examine in more particular detail different parts of the spectrum. One does 500hz and up to near 20 kHz very well and the other does 12kHz down to 80 Hz really well. Then I will route through my PC speakers just as, "Okay, here's how everyone else will hear it so let's make sure it ain't total crap." Again, I have a fair idea of what the response curve of these speakers are as well so I know when I'm being lied to as well...

Studio and live are different animals needing different handling techniques but the adaptation isn't all that difficult, as I observe, if you just know the different requirements of each.

I'm glad to hear that you're getting a lot out of the comments posted and I hope none of us have led you off in the wrong direction. We're all still learning, afterall. (Are you ever NOT learning? Is that almost a contradiction in terms?)
Old West Audio
Thank you very much! The help so far has been excellent. This is a wonderful place to be.
I have a pair of Beyer Dynamic DT-109's in which I just replaced the elements. I'm using Sennheiser HD-280's also. I will definitely take your advice and learn the difference in the two. I've been preaching ear fatigue to musicians for forty years. Time to take my own advice.
I must admit that my knowledge of ProTools is limited at this point. With each trip to this site however, I learn something new.
The few brain cells that are left are working very hard to get on program. Thanks again for your help...........Curley