Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It Was My Fault for Waiting - raw mix
Hi Every one.

This song sounded very promissing so i have given it a quick go.

A few notes about the mix:
I have purposly mixed the kick drum with a less "heavy metal" sound that more and more seems to do.
I have had my share of metal so i do like a more rock like kick, so for this i haven't boosted 5-6Khz

I also tend to mix in to much low end and not enuf transince, maybe because of my job as a live sound engineere, that haven't gone half deaf yet.

There is still a few things i want to change in the mix ex. completely redo the bass and the drum sum, but im fairly ok with this mix.

Other than that, ive made it as a raw mix (no mastering, dithering (rather harsh top end) etc.) and just leveled it for now, as there will be a few things to change in the mix.

Quote:Update:

I made a few changes and even though i wouldn't call it finished as far as i wish it to be, this will be the final product.

Down sides to the mix, it is all in all to compressed and vocals don’t mix properly. Low end is to inconsistent.

Upsides, everything in the song can be heard clearly and nothing gets left out of the mix.

Everything was made in pro tools mainly with ssl emulated eq and comp along with C6 multi-band compressor. Mix was done with headphones only since my 1031 isn't set up.
Effect used is 3 types of reverb and a dynamic delay on the lead vocal.
Nothing was re-sampled and the original compositions are kept not to change how the band wrote the song in the first place.
It has been mildly adjusted with multi-band compressor and maximizer, but not mastered as such (i suck at mastering).

Fell free to comment and and sugest

.mp3    Atlantis Bound - It Was My Fault For Waiting.mp3 --  (Download: 3.62 MB)

I agree about the kick drum metal sound. I hate it too, in some extreme case it sounds like castanets. Smile
Your toms though are sounding a bit too resonant to me, I would try to cut some sustain out of them and beef their low-end.
Other than that, sounds well balanced to me.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
The Toms is one of my major issues. It sounds like they where recorded with e604's and i can draw no low end from them unless i resample them, in in my mind thats not my job.

but i might put that on the todo list too as it bugs me a bit.

Thanks for your feedback ptalbot.