Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - 'Blue'
I've enjoyed this song a lot and I'm already looking forward to mix more from Patrick Rolleyes

I tried to achieve Olli's beautiful intimate club sound in his mix, but I couldn't. But I've tried and I still like his sound better than mine, but here it is.

As always, comments and advice is welcomed!

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Blue.mp3 --  (Download: 10.21 MB)

mixing since April 2013
I like your version juanjose1967! I don't think it has much to envy Olli's version. It's just different.
I just listened to both and I think Olli's got better separation all in all, but I find yours very smooth and that was what I was looking for with this song.
Great job man!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Heyyy, thanks Patrick!! You made my day!!
mixing since April 2013
Good job, Juan. You have nice focus in vocals. And that's the main thing in this song.

Only thing that came to my mind is the low-mids area where double bass meet other instruments. Here and there it feels as if something is out of tune when those instruments melt into each other. But maybe a cut to double bass some where around 100-300 hz could fix that thing.

I'm honored that you had my mix as one of your reference, but still I would recommend ALWAYS to use absolute top quality mixes for that purpose. So aim higher. Even if you don't reach your goal, at least you will soon beat every one around here. Smile

If you lack ideas what to use as reference, start from here:
http://www.digido.com/media/honor-roll.html
Hi, Olli! I've checked on the bass and the other lowmid instruments, and I think the separation now has been improved. Not much because I wanted to keep the warmth of the sound.

Hey, don't underestimate yourself! not always the great stuff comes from the big and famous ones! It's ok to keep others as a reference, but if there's something I like, why shouldn't I appreciate it? You did a great job, you inspired me and that's good in my opinion! Smile

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Blue.mp3 --  (Download: 10.21 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Lovely version !
I'm wondering to give the nice warm vocals and guitar more space, if reducing the bass a touch more maybe at 130hz and maybe the kick would change the warmth of the sound too much Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I agree with thedon, the low-end is not yet ready. As the bass is quite jazzy with quick notes, you might try to let the kick do the lowest low-end (50-70 hz ?) and double bass mabye around 80-100 hz. And if you add to bass more 500-1500 hz area, the bass becomes more audible, and it may happen that you don't need so much low end from the bass.

But whatever you, don't compromise your own vision. These are just suggestion without trying them by myself. It might happen that those ideas don't work at all.