Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris93 What Child Is This
My Mix. Lexicon MPX1 again, a modified version of "Small Church" this time. Everything is sending to it at different levels. I actually quite liked the bleed on these tracks, it keeps everything in the same realm for you.

Chris

.mp3    What Child Is This.mp3 --  (Download: 8.18 MB)

Quite a dark mix sounding mix - but I read somewhere that you were going for a haunting vibe, so that makes sense and fits well.

The lead vocal seems a little low at times. Not sure if its a level thing or whether the fx you've chosen are making it sound that way by pushing them back into the mix.....i can certainly hear fx artifacts from time to time.
Thanks for the comments. I think you might be right about the lead vocal as I tend to think that everyone elses mix has the vocal a bit too loud, and it's unlikely that everyone else is wrong. Opinions may just be different though, I don't think every mix needs to have a "star" lead vocal in front of the band. Maybe my monitoring is bringing it forward a bit? I'm using Yamaha HS50M's and Shure SRH840's. I did intentionally push it back a bit though.

I tend to like to get any brightness from just a few sources in the mix as I find it sounds cleaner, generally. Typically it'll be piano's, percussion etc., rarely vocals, guitars or anything that has a tendency to get harsh or sibilant. I've just had a look through my EQ's and the only high end reduction is a gentle roll off on all the backing vocals, a bigger shelf on the vocal delay return and a roll off on the reverb return. I have fairly big HF boosts on the overheads and piano tracks.

What sort of FX artifacts are you hearing? The audibility of the effect rather than the sound of a space? I didn't worry too much about it being audible as I quite like the sound of it. I will be trying out a different reverb next week so we'll see how that goes, it's not said to be the most transparent thing available though. Smile

Chris