Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
3rd Wave mix of Patrick Talbot's 'Blue'
(14-11-2014, 07:12 AM)Olli H Wrote: Great mix.
Only thing that bothers me is those wide stereo background vocals.
Yeah, I was on the fence about that. I normally like that type of BV part closer to the LV, but I didn't like anything else out there. Maybe I'll bring them in and split the guitars hard once EGT2 comes in...
Quote:In this case I agree with Pauli's comment about vox, guitar and lower mids. Some minimalistic adjustments around that area could make this mix even better.
Yup, I'll look at it later. 8 ears can't be wrong. (Patrick counts as 4 ears because it's his stuff... Big Grin)
(14-11-2014, 02:00 PM)ptalbot Wrote: You don't need any permissions from me! Smile
I'm here to learn as well, and I'd love to see it too.
I might go back to this mix now that I've heard so many great mixes, and if I do, I'll post it here so that you can bash it good too! Big Grin

Thanks here is a quick screen shot of resonating clashing frequencies which I use to clean up individual tracks It takes practice not to overdo it ,any tips and advice would be great Big Grin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOyUJIPn...YkJTzFXGxw

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(15-11-2014, 03:26 AM)thedon Wrote:
(14-11-2014, 02:00 PM)ptalbot Wrote: You don't need any permissions from me! Smile
I'm here to learn as well, and I'd love to see it too.
I might go back to this mix now that I've heard so many great mixes, and if I do, I'll post it here so that you can bash it good too! Big Grin

Thanks here is a quick screen shot of resonating clashing frequencies which I use to clean up individual tracks It takes practice not to overdo it ,any tips and advice would be great Big Grin.

very cool Don
(15-11-2014, 03:26 AM)thedon Wrote: Thanks here is a quick screen shot of resonating clashing frequencies which I use to clean up individual tracks It takes practice not to overdo it ,any tips and advice would be great Big Grin.

Cool. Let me know where to send your frequency sweeping fee... Wink
I probably won't get back to it until Sunday. Until then,

Have a good weekend all,

-mk.

Quote:"volume match. Automatic gain compensation"? You totally lost me: please elaborate.

Prefix to my post: When I say "best practices," I don't mean to imply there's only one way to mix... I'm referring to general recommendations used by most audio engineers. I'm very sure and don't deny that other practices work better for different people, but I'll try and explain the reason for the "rules."

When you're equalizing and following best practices, you're doing a lot more cutting than boosting, and one of the end results of this is an overall reduction in level on the track being EQ'd.

Again, when following best practices, you'll have already worked up a rough balance consisting mainly of cleaning up the low end and setting levels before the more detailed EQ work comes into play... so tracks requiring more EQ will generally become quieter.

At this point, it can be tempting to simply turn up the faders to re-establish the originally set level, but a better method would be to use a model of EQ that allows you to re-establish the level with a make-up gain feature. The reason for this is that you can bypass the plugin and hear what the track sounded like prior to processing at the same level... in other words, a volume matched comparison. This is important because the brain perceives the frequency balance of louder signals differently and we can fool ourselves... so if we turn up the fader to compensate for the cuts and then bypass the effect, the bypassed version will be much louder, and you can see how that could lead to all sorts of havoc. Some plugins, such as Melda's MEqualizer have a feature that's effectively an automatic make-up gain, which is what I meant by automatic gain compensation. MEqualizer's is pretty good and can be used on individual tracks within a mix, but during mastering the slight distortions created by AGC are more audible and can unacceptably color a mix.

So basically that's all I was saying... if you were of the mind to polish the low end up a bit during mastering, an EQ with automatic gain compensation is good for quick A/B comparisons at a consistent level to see if you're on the right track, but it'd be a good idea to turn of the AGC feature and re-adjust the level manually for a final comparison to make sure distortion wasn't coloring your judgement.

Hopefully that's helpful? I like your mix but I can't shake the feeling it could be a bit cleaner on the bottom half.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(15-11-2014, 03:26 AM)thedon Wrote: Thanks here is a quick screen shot of resonating clashing frequencies which I use to clean up individual tracks It takes practice not to overdo it ,any tips and advice would be great Big Grin.

Cool. Thanks for sharing, thedon!
I use sweeping on individual tracks to identify and cut problematic frequencies but rarely on a whole mix. Maybe I should?
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
[quote='pauli' pid='24965' dateline='1416269439']

[quote]
"...automatic make-up gain, which is what I meant by automatic gain compensation.
[/quote]

Understood. That's SOP. And I think the guitar is just a little too loud. I was going for a singer w/ guitar vibe, but a few last-minute changes just left it a little too present.
The buss limiter also altered the density in the lower mids. (The unprocessed mix is more open.) It was my first mix with Slate Digital's FG-X and it got away from me a bit...
Excuses excuses... Wink
I've done the same thing thousands of times Big Grin it can be way too easy to shoot yourself in the foot when the ears start getting tired. Always better to do it in the mix if you can anyway, good man!
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!