Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KlangBild-mix of Spektakulatius's 'What Child Is This'
Hi all,
here is my mix of Spektakulatius's 'What Child Is This'.

Please comment this!

Have a nice Christmas ;-)

Best wishes,
Martin

www.justmixing.de

.mp3    Spektakulatius\'s \'What Child Is This\'.mp3 --  (Download: 6.5 MB)

Lots of reverb up front. Nice touch. I experimented with getting that piano to sounds distant as well but couldn't make it work out for me. (Couldn't get around the buildup at ~2k acceptably.)

You have the vocal coming in a little strongly compared to the rest of the tune. I've set my volume by that and then had to turn it down when the singer came in. I find that this vocal, after setting a few pre-amp automation tweaks, responsd pretty well to a compressor. Slow attack, slow release and shooting for 2-3dB gain reduction in the general case but using that to gain a handle on the power sections.

Nice clean mix, you've got though. All the EQ and so on seems good to me. Just dynamics that stand out.
Old West Audio
Too much reverb on instruments, you could have better put a lot of reverb on backing vocals (so it will sound like they are singing in church), too much bottom end on sides. Good piano sound. You could put a bit of delay on main vocal (so it does not sound dry, and is separated from backing vocals). All in all, good mix.
Great mix! I like the presence of the guitar in the intro. Nice balance through out. I think reverb is a matter of taste and I find myself always backing off a bit. Was just thinking that low mids (200-300hz) could have had a little attenuation i think, especially when the song gets busy. But that's just a taste thing, but you can try and see if you like it!

I had to be careful in my mix, because the noise hiss from the guitar track was bothering me a lot. So I used side-chain compression with a low pass at about 2khz. I like that the lead vocal stands out front and not swamped in reverb. Again a taste thing…

Great job though, I think this is one of the best mixes I've heard so far!