Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Horse Mix
Hello everyone,

here is my mix. I tried to get a bit in the direction of a Led Zeppelin drum sound. Hope you like it.

Cheers,
Andy

.mp3    DarkHorse_AndyGallas.mp3 --  (Download: 10.03 MB)

Well, your drums certainly sound big!
But I wonder if that's really appropriate, as the rest of the instrumentation is more on the folk-rock/lighter side.
Kind of like pasting "When the levee breaks" drums on top of "Going to California" Wink
I would dial that back down a tad, personally.
Apart from that, not bad. Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks mate for listening :)

Well, I actually like the drums the way they feel and sound, obviously, HEH. However, I do get what you mean.

Btw, did you listen to their released track?
They were not exactly shy on drums either ;)

http://thelongwait.bandcamp.com/track/dark-horses

Cheers,
Andy
I didn't listened to the release before. Thanks for the link!
Their drums are big indeed, but they are more 'snappy' than 'bulky' if you know what I mean...
I think their whole mix is much brighter, which might help there as well lightening up the panzer in a porcelain shop feel! Wink
But of course it's a taste thing. Big Grin
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(10-11-2014, 07:14 PM)ptalbot Wrote: I didn't listened to the release before. Thanks for the link!
Their drums are big indeed, but they are more 'snappy' than 'bulky' if you know what I mean...
I think their whole mix is much brighter, which might help there as well lightening up the panzer in a porcelain shop feel! Wink
But of course it's a taste thing. Big Grin

Their mix is brighter and their drums especially the snare has more snap but it's also a bit flat, thinned out. Well believe it or not, with my first try I ended up also anywhere near there. Brighter, louder with that typical – am I allowed to say (Slate) snap? But then I really wanted to try something different, that might still sound cool beside the usually pop sound. But hey, I already did know that I walk on thin ice when I release a mixversion with a more raw and bulky sound. Okay, next time back in the row.

Cheers,
Andy
(10-11-2014, 07:47 PM)AndyGallas Wrote: Their mix is brighter and their drums especially the snare has more snap but it's also a bit flat, thinned out. Well believe it or not, with my first try I ended up also anywhere near there. Brighter, louder with that typical – am I allowed to say (Slate) snap? But then I really wanted to try something different, that might still sound cool beside the usually pop sound. But hey, I already did know that I walk on thin ice when I release a mixversion with a more raw and bulky sound. Okay, next time back in the row.

Makes sense. Thanks for explaining your vision!

Some air moved here
I like how they all glue together on your mix, though it sounds boxy.

P.S. I didnt like the mix they end up using, it sounds to me just bright with fake drums and no character at all, as a lot of mixes they are out there..

Nice job with those sources!
(29-11-2014, 07:50 PM)gopener Wrote: I like how they all glue together on your mix, though it sounds boxy.

P.S. I didnt like the mix they end up using, it sounds to me just bright with fake drums and no character at all, as a lot of mixes they are out there..

Nice job with those sources!

Thank you very much!
(10-11-2014, 10:33 AM)AndyGallas Wrote: Hello everyone,

here is my mix. I tried to get a bit in the direction of a Led Zeppelin drum sound. Hope you like it.

Cheers,
Andy

Despite the (constructive) criticism so far from other users, I think I'm hearing one of the best snare interpretations, bold and not overcompressed, distinctive and with character. Kick not lesser even if maybe requiring a little bit more of compression.
As mentioned, these drums are far away (in the positive direction) from the heavily sculpted fake-drum-render of the original.
The rimshot towards the song tail is recessed on the back and maybe requiring some automation or different setting to bring it a little forward.
Am I wrong in hearing the drum set a little bit closed to the center (near mono)? Maybe a deliberate choice.

cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(12-12-2014, 12:23 AM)Lammy Wrote:
(10-11-2014, 10:33 AM)AndyGallas Wrote: Hello everyone,

Cheers,
Andy

Despite the (constructive) criticism so far from other users, I think I'm hearing one of the best snare interpretations, bold and not overcompressed, distinctive and with character. Kick not lesser even if maybe requiring a little bit more of compression.
As mentioned, these drums are far away (in the positive direction) from the heavily sculpted fake-drum-render of the original.
The rimshot towards the song tail is recessed on the back and maybe requiring some automation or different setting to bring it a little forward.
Am I wrong in hearing the drum set a little bit closed to the center (near mono)? Maybe a deliberate choice.

cheers

Thanks for your feedback! Listening back the drums might also be a little dull.

Cheers!