Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much Too Much
First of all, I really like this song. I had a lot of fun mixing it and listening to it. Hearing a woman tell me over and over that she loves me "much too much", while hearing that joyous jazz, put me in a great mood. I even found myself dancing at times. Big Grin

So here's my try at mixing it. Thanks for any feedback.

.mp3    Much Too Much.mp3 --  (Download: 10.16 MB)

The drums feel like they're overwhelming the balance here. Fundamentally, the interest in the arrangement lies in the brass and vocal parts, but you've mixed the brass here more in the way I'd expect them in a pop track -- very toppy to cut through everything else, but without much body. I think you can afford to let the miking speak for itself a bit more (albeit with a few bits of compensation for some of the necessary close-miking positions), leave the EQ fairly untroubled and then concentrate on the balance.

The other problem I'm getting is that the overheads are very upfront-sounding, with the transients really spitting through from the ride cymbal. Even leaving out the balance issues, it seems a bit odd for the brass to be so far behind the drums.