Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Negative feedback encouraged
just finished mixing this one yesterday. Liked the band; they were very edgy and dynamic and i tried to bring that out a bit by adding a few suttle things here and there. Hope you guys like it cus its only my third mix ever.

-negative feedback encouraged for i want to get better at this.

.m4a    pop_master2.m4a --  (Download: 6.69 MB)

Enjoyed hearing a very different vision to mine -- more resolutely indie and disfunctional than my more mainstream Wallace-inspired version. Plenty of aggression, creativity, and contrast on display, which are all great, although I do have some some technical reservations. The guitars a quite midrange heavy, and because they're pretty strong in the balance, it's giving the mix a whole a slightly honky tone, so I'd maybe pull those frequencies down a touch. The drums are (deliberately, I assume) pretty trashy, which is fine, but the cymbals seem rather phasey, and collapse a lot in mono, so maybe you might try to experiment with the L/R phase relationships and apply less EQ to individual tracks, compensating with more on the buss perhaps.

I'd also appreciate a bit more definition from the kick drum, which is at the moment getting lost amongst the capacious rumbling of the bass guitar at the low end. Perhaps a bit of 800Hz 'knock' to give the rhythm some support, but without cheapening what you've decided should essentially be quite a weighty-sounding drum foundation.

Thanks for posting -- an intriguing listen, especially for me given that I've mixed it myself in a completely different direction in the past.
thanks for the reply and helpful feedback mike. Iv been giving what you said about the bass and kick relationship a thought and i think your right. It seems at times the bass just eats the kick for breakfast. The rest of the kit i did in fact want to sound trashy and it flatters me that you picked up on that SmileI neglected the mono check while mixing but after checking just now, your right about the cymbals. I pushed them out way to far to the sides. Clear sounding cymbals, testing tracks in mono, and less harsh mid rangy guitars is what i shall focus on during my next few mixes. I may just have to give this this song another shot too. Thanks for the help.