Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Angels In Amplifiers: I`m Alright
Hi,

My mix of this great song Smile

.mp3    I`m Alright mp3 master.mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

I don't know, man, I don't want to be negative, but I have trouble with your mix.
I find most of the instruments in the mix much too compressed, and you've squashed them even more with a limiter.
The acoustic on the right sounds like a banjo with too much transients (sounds high passed too much as well), the electric on the left is biting and has a lot of extra mids.
I get the impression that you've pushed things so much that it's not breathing anymore.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
It sounds like maybe after you got done applying compression that to bring things back up, you added a fair deal of EQ? That may be what's got that electric sounding the way it is, overdriving a downstream processor. There are balance problems but nothing is drifting in and out. A definite lack of dynamic range. I'm kinda reading that as overprocessed audio.

I think it would be worth going back over this mix to see if you can reduce some of the processing. It might help some of the parts to come forward more without becoming detached from the rest of the mix.

Anyway, never fear! Every error is a lerning opportunity! Let's see what you can do with pass #2...
Old West Audio