Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merrygold: Motherload
This is my second country song ever. My first one was many, many, many months ago; so I still think that I'm totally new to this genre. But anyway, one has to adapt himself to all styles... and this music is so exotic and appealing to me!!

So what do you think of this mix from a Spaniard?

.mp3    Merrygold - Motherload.mp3 --  (Download: 8.89 MB)

mixing since April 2013
What? They don't have Country in spain? Wink
Take that with a grain of salt as I'm not that experienced, but my first reaction was "man that acoustic guitar is thin", then "and so is the banjo", after a while when the band came in, I though it was better, but it might be my ears are playing tricks on me Wink
Apart from that, I quite like your vocal treatment, good job. Keep it up!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
no, we don't have country here but a lot of guitars and clapping Wink

I will check on the banjo and the guitar tomorrow with clean ears. I'm glad you liked the vocals Smile Thank you for your comments!!!
mixing since April 2013
Nice mix.....and I love the vocals on this too!

I know what patrick means about the intro sounding slightly thin. The banjo, snare and accordion are all fairly bright which only really leaves you acugtr and bass to play with.

Once the band comes in, particularly the male BGV, you get a lovely warmth to your mix from the low mid content.

As the bass isn't really playing that much during the intro, I think a lower HP of the AcuGtr could possibly help. You can always automate it so it doesn't mess with your balance later on when the band comes in.

From a purely personal point of view, you could maybe throw a bit more of a spotlight on the guitarist during the solo - poor guy is working his butt off and I'm struggling to hear him through the accordion and banjo Big Grin

Hi, HbGuitar! Yes, when ptalbot told me about the guitars in the beginning, I thought of automating the intro. So that's exactly what I did!

I also think that now it won't be too hard for you to hear the guitar on the solo part.Smile

Thank you for your comments!!!

.mp3    Merrygold - Motherload(2).mp3 --  (Download: 8.89 MB)

mixing since April 2013
very subtle changes ...can hardly hear them....then i remembered that you mix in headphones....so I listened in headphones...and I can hear what you've done. I really like both mixes - so unless you hear problems I think you can say job well done. So much so that when i listen to my own mix now it sounds a bit harsh - I may have to dive back in ...but then again..maybe not

I was chatting with Dave (the metallurgist) about speakers and headphones and he mentioned that you use HD600's. Judging by the tone you've created here, they seem to be working for you - I'll have to look into getting a pair when i have some spare cash, as my current pair (KRK8400s) are maybe a bit bright and it makes it hard when swapping between speakers and headphones.
Hi Juanjose love sounding mix .
Listening on Ns10's at the moment The snare sounds a touch Thin and the top end rattle a little bright around the 4-8 k area Big Grin .
Are you using Hd600 or 650 thinking of getting a pair ,my room acoustics is not very good in the lower frequencies Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

I have HD600 and I noticed a huge improvement ever since I started using them! Don't worry, Don, my room is no good in lower, higher and middle frequencies... I think that people in 3 miles around my place can hear the music that my kids play all the time Smile
mixing since April 2013
Second mix is sounding better to me, good call on the automation of the intro.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I listened the second mix. Nice overall sound.

Good smooth vocal sound

The snare has maybe too prominent role for this genre.

Acoustic guitar in right is slighly boxy and shy.

If you ever plan to open this project again, try listening Allison Krauss as reference. According to my knowledge it’s illegal to use any other reference for this kind of acoustic country/bluegrass music.

As Bob Katz and plenty of other top professionals prefer HD600 headphones, I think you’re in good company.