Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amber Skye : "Howlin" Mix & Master
This mix was ​​a pain in the knee ... too many channels for the same ... beside that very good song. It was difficult to make the kick stand out from the mix ... however not up to my taste, but too much time in one song .... I hope you enjoy it and as always the criticisms are welcome, there's no another way to learn !!!! Big Grin

.mp3    Amber Skye Howlin Mix and Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.52 MB)

(03-11-2014, 06:45 AM)B.F.N. Wrote: ...and as always the criticisms are welcome, there's no another way to learn !!!! Big Grin

not so. you will get a lot of benefit from contributing to the forum by giving feedback because it will develop your critical listening skills.

this is an extract from the Administrators 3 commandments which can be found at this link: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...d=15#pid15

"Play Nice. If you want to receive constructive criticism, then give constructive criticism."
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
First of all thanks for the tip. Sorry I,m new on this, I don't even know how to highlight the a comment like you do... But I think I'm not the person with great skills or huge experience to be the judge of any of the works I have heard in the forum. That's the reason why I'm asking your opinion. If I know I'm on the right track then I will have an valid opinion of what I hear and do... Anyways I'm going to follow your tip, maybe I'm wrong... So see you in your post.

Regards
I think The_Metallurgist has a point. You might not have a huge experience but your have ears and you know what you like or not (hopefully, otherwise you wouldn't be able to mix, would you?). Also listening to other's mixes and give feedback whatever your ability is a great way of practising critical listening, so it's valuable for everyone.

I think your mix is a good basis. There's some good clarity from where I listen on (PC speakers - not much low end, but I know them well - and headphones for now).
I think you've used too much of that obnoxious snare, I would try to tuck it further or even mute it in various parts. The vocals are very upfront, which might be a good thing for a pop tune, but I think they are too much in your face, which might work for the chorus, but is probably too much for the rest of the song.
I'm not fond of the distorted vocal at the end either. I get the idea, but right now it's biting (too much fizz/high frequencies) and not the best tone TBH.

Take that with a grain of salt since I'm not such an experienced mixer as well. I'm just telling you what I'm hearing/feeling, hoping it's going to be helpful to you. Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here