Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Blue - HB Mix
Here's my version, mastered at a very conservative -15LKFS but there's still a fair bit of loudness processing going on as the mix came in at -23LKFS. I didn't want to push it too hard being a jazz number.

Gone for a light and airy vibe

.mp3    Blue_HB Mix_01_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.5 MB)

Oooh! I like that one. Light and airy is exactly how I was seeing it.
It's spacious and you've highlighted all the elements in a nice way.
I think I like your version better than mine... Awesome job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Listening again today with fresh ears, and I really like how you treated the bass.
I know that I struggled with it being quite noisy and wanting to make it present but not biting.
But then again, if I compare with my own mix, mine is probably too bright overall.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(02-11-2014, 09:43 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Oooh! I like that one. Light and airy is exactly how I was seeing it.
It's spacious and you've highlighted all the elements in a nice way.
I think I like your version better than mine... Awesome job! Smile

Glad you like the mix. I was a little late to the party so picked up on some of the feedback going around. It didn't massively change my approach, with exception to the FX on the vox - normally I push the envelope to just audible and then back off a tad, but when an artist says they want to hear FX, they really want to hear FX! - Big Grin so i definitely pushed the boundaries for that, and i think that the song tempo and arrangement can handle it, so that was a fun to try.

Its not often that we get feedback direct from artists/producers so we all really appreciate it.
Great mix HbGuitar!

I like the balance, everything sits where it should, but mostly like what you did with bass and guitars.
(03-11-2014, 03:06 AM)Q-Mix Wrote: Great mix HbGuitar!

I like the balance, everything sits where it should, but mostly like what you did with bass and guitars.

Thanks for that, glad you liked it. I was going to review your mix, i think it was v2, but every time i went into the thread you had a newer version! lol so i was gonna wait 'til things settled down
(03-11-2014, 02:46 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Glad you like the mix. I was a little late to the party so picked up on some of the feedback going around. It didn't massively change my approach, with exception to the FX on the vox - normally I push the envelope to just audible and then back off a tad, but when an artist says they want to hear FX, they really want to hear FX! - Big Grin so i definitely pushed the boundaries for that, and i think that the song tempo and arrangement can handle it, so that was a fun to try.

Its not often that we get feedback direct from artists/producers so we all really appreciate it.

I don't always want to hear FXs, and in most case, I agree that less is more, at least I like to feel the reverb and delays but not hear them most of the time. But in the case of this song, I think it can handle that, and almost requires it IMHO.

It's about my daughter but much more about how she was when she was little and it's really more of a nostalgic feeling, since she's very much a teenager now and quite difficult to handle! Big Grin

So to me it has to have that kind of dreamy quality that is enhanced by reverb and delays. I think your version manages that, without muddying things up, which is really cool.

Good to know that feedback from the artist/producer is not frowned upon here, I was worried about that TBH, and I'm not such a good mixer myself. Your mix is your vision, and I don't want to interfere with that, just giving you the perspective of how I've intended the song and arrangement. You take from that whatever you feel is helping you to achieve your own vision.

Again, great mix. I really like it, 5 stars from me!

Some air moved here
I really like your mix, excellent balance, and a different sound than the other mixes I heard here (different meaning good Smile)

Your mix has character and sound good at the same time!

Great job!!

(03-11-2014, 11:58 AM)lydkjell Wrote: I really like your mix, excellent balance, and a different sound than the other mixes I heard here (different meaning good Smile)

Your mix has character and sound good at the same time!

Great job!!

Hey lydkjell. Thanks for listening and for your feedback. Glad you enjoyed the mix. Cheers
(03-11-2014, 06:07 AM)ptalbot Wrote: It's about my daughter but much more about how she was when she was little and it's really more of a nostalgic feeling, since she's very much a teenager now and quite difficult to handle! Big Grin

So to me it has to have that kind of dreamy quality that is enhanced by reverb and delays. I think your version manages that, without muddying things up, which is really cool.

Thanks for the insight....my son just turned 12 (going on 14) so I get what you mean....I listen to the lyrics very differently now....very innocent and nostalgic so the dreamy vibe really makes sense

(03-11-2014, 06:07 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Good to know that feedback from the artist/producer is not frowned upon here, I was worried about that TBH, and I'm not such a good mixer myself. Your mix is your vision, and I don't want to interfere with that, just giving you the perspective of how I've intended the song and arrangement. You take from that whatever you feel is helping you to achieve your own vision.

Artist feedback is great imo....people are free to take whatever the artist says on-board or not. Getting constructive feedback, be it positive or negative, is the lifeblood of this forum.....most guys thrive on it.

One of the best ways to become a better mixer is to give feedback - as it encourages analytical listening and judging by your feedback, you have developed that skill nicely

(03-11-2014, 06:07 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Again, great mix. I really like it, 5 stars from me!

Cheers Big Grin