Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot: 'Blue'
First time mixing this genre, feedback appreciated.

Nice song by the way, I enjoyed mixing it.

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Blue_qmix_4.mp3 --  (Download: 10.5 MB)

Good one Q-Mix.
I like the sense of space in your mix. The reverb on the lead vox is cool. Perhaps a little too much of low-end on it though, or on the vocal or both? Smile
I think the drums are too loud, and too compressed (the snare in particular).
What genre do you usually mix? I would guess rock (from the compression on the snare).
I think with jazz drums, compression should be only for peaks, it should breathe IMHO.

Apart from that, it's light and bright which I know is a challenge with that track.
Keep it up!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Hey Patrick, thanks a lot on your feedback and thanks for the tips. Well actually I used to mix Hip-Hop, where kick and snare are usually in front of everything, so it was hard for me to mix jazz drums, but I agree that snare was overcompressed. I fixed drums, there is only few db's of gain reduction on drumbus for peaks and I adjusted vocals so there is less low-end on them now.

Hope it's better now.
Sounds better Q-Mix!
I really like the vocal treatment, it's spacious and goes well with the dreamy like vibe.
The drums are much better now, much more natural sounding, like a jazz kit recorded live.
I think the upright bass has too much transient though. IIRC I tamed them quite a lot on my own mix, right now it's a bit biting.
And I think you could push the bgvs a little bit during the chorus.
But I really like it overall. Great job!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks again for the feedback, it really means a lot for me.

I fixed bass, and pushed bgvs few db's in choruses.

In previous mixes, on bass track, I was more focused on bass harmonics so I added some distortion to help it translate better on small speakers, but I agree I added too much of it.

Just tell me if there is anything else you want me to change.
Yes, the bass is better, although it's now a bit buried, I think perhaps it's too thin? I know it's a difficult balance as the upright was quite noisy.
But I think you did a great job with the vocals.
I quite like your version! Smile

Some air moved here
Good one Q-Mix!
Sound is fine :-)
@M-D Thanks a lot man!

@ptalbot Ok, I tried to fatten it up, let me know what you think.
Yes, I think the bass is better. Nicely done! Smile

Some air moved here
Thanks again for the feedback.