Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Horses - HB Mix
Here's my version (mixed at -19 LKFS, Mastered at -13 LKFS)

Don't normally do quick mixes, but this came together really quickly for me, just building the mix up from vocals, AcuGtr and drums and everything fell into place. Probably wont stand the test of time and scrutiny, so expect mix-02 at some point.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
New version, mix_02 uploaded

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
New version, mix_03 uploaded

New version, mix_04 uploaded

New version, mix_05 uploaded

.mp3    Dark Horses_HB Mix_01_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)

just a quick ob's, while crunching my way through a mandatory morning's muesli (and VERY mindful that i haven't yet had a cup of tea, so i'm still a little dysfunctional).. Big Grin

l really liked the tone of the acoustic here, it was bright where it needed to be, but for me a touch on the edgy side for comfort - some of the string action can bite a bit. i thought it was too up front in the mix for my liking in the panorama, close enough for the guitarist to be sitting on my knees, kind of feeling. if you dropped it back into the room with some choice ambiance it would help meld with the rest of the band. while doing so, it leaves some scope to round off some of the treble region which i think could do with a touch of dynamic control now and again...some enthusiastic notes pop up from time to time which i found distracting though i dare say an acoustic guitarist would want more of it. i think i'd also review the ambiance strategy on the Egtrs also to put them in the room more and help present a more illusive feeling of space and ambiance.

now, this vocal.....you got up to some sweet mischief here! and i loved the outcome. made it really interesting and refreshing. one might argue about it's applicability to the genre in a fussy world, but i personally couldn't care less. yep, subjective....but it appealed to my taste. cool stuff.

the guitars feel like they are holding the stage and the drummer's not quite getting enough of a look in? the overall tonality you've aimed for in the mix feels like a brighter side of neutral which helps the vibe quite nicely. the problem for me though, is the drums aren't fitting into the delivery so well as they otherwise might, like they are taking a bit of a back seat? but this would be an easy fix...

i'd like to comment on the bass in this mix; something's not quite right. i'd need to take it in the studio for a closer inspection (the HD560's are merely saying "problem" but can't define it), but it sounds like an EQ issue on the bass gtr and perhaps even the kick and their interactions? ....it's pretty muddy down there. if you down-mix to mono and switch one of the speakers off [so you avoid phase issues], you'll hear what i mean. this will confirm the drum kit issue too, the snare is the major clue. perhaps check your monitoring in the low end. i'd run some selective test tones for the bass zone and measure the outcomes on your SPL meter at the monitoring position. you could also loop a fixed tone and wander around the room and see what mischief it might be up to. without the tea, it also sounds like the bass is messing around with the acoustic in the 125Hz zone too..

this might help: http://realtraps.com/test-cd.htm Be warned...... the results will probably shock you Wink

laters m8

PS: it's nice to see and "hear" someone taking their audio quality seriously in the loudness normalization department. Big Grin

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hey Dave - thanks for your feedback.

When i said I didn't think mix-01 would stand the test of time, i imagined it would last longer than 2 hrs! Big Grin

i mixed this late Friday arvo local time - a hot spring day (30C) with the windows open and not a care in the world - probably too much outside noise creeping in for a serious session but i was enjoying the country rock vibe. I had my suspicions re bottom end so had the kick ducking the bass 2 db and boosted upper harmonics on the bass around 1 & 2K to help clarity but didn't really spend enough time down there.

I just had a listen in the cans - and the bass sounds a bit bloated - the bass and kick are both peaking around 60hz so its a bit congested. methinks more work to be done before this riddle is solved Big Grin

cheers
new version, mix_02

adjust EQ balance of kick, bass and snare to clear up the mud and put the rock back into country rock Cool

.mp3    Dark Horses_HB Mix_02_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 11.34 MB)

Nice mix HbGuitar! Nice vocal treatment and good separation.

Only thing for me is that I find the cymbals too loud (hats/ride), I would back off the overheads.
The snare is a bit meaty as well, I would add some smack and/or remove some low-end to it, use compression or a transient designer to make it pop a little bit more. In contrast the sidestick is very bright, and too roomy (the overheads again?).

I'm just starting here, so take all this with a grain of salt! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Hey ptalbot, thanks for the feedback. I tend to lean in the direction of having relatively bright mixes - and strong snares in rock - i guess it's part of my sound at the moment.

(31-10-2014, 03:31 PM)ptalbot Wrote: I'm just starting here, so take all this with a grain of salt! Smile

No worries dude - giving feedback is what makes this place work, and you've made the effort to find positives as well as making some constructive criticism.....its all good Big Grin

Better than the first mix but that low end still sounds a bit muddy,the kick and bass are clashing a fair bit.
The symbols sound a bit washy also.Sort that bottom end out and the mix would sound totally different .
(01-11-2014, 11:48 PM)takka360 Wrote: Better than the first mix but that low end still sounds a bit muddy,the kick and bass are clashing a fair bit.
The symbols sound a bit washy also.Sort that bottom end out and the mix would sound totally different .

Cheers for the feedback....OH's are terrible, especially during guitar solo Blush- ptalbot mentioned them too. maybe need to add some compression to control them better
(31-10-2014, 01:14 PM)HbGuitar Wrote: i mixed this.....hot spring day (30C) with the windows open...

ah, watch out for that. an open window is a perfect broadband absorber and will therefore mess with your room's frequency response the extent dependent on the size of your room and the window....and where you and your monitors are located relative to this, etc etc.

i'm finding the kick in the v2 mix dominating the front-of-stage in the panorama making it somewhat detached from the kit as a consequence. it also sounds like it's out of balance with the bass gtr level. is there something causing a discrepancy between what your ears are hearing in the low end and what's actually happening in the mix somehow?

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
(02-11-2014, 10:42 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: i'm finding the kick in the v2 mix dominating the front-of-stage in the panorama making it somewhat detached from the kit as a consequence. it also sounds like it's out of balance with the bass gtr level.

Thanks Dave, takka mentioned problems with kick and bass too so obviously something not right.

I think I'm having a mental block with this one - I really don't like the sound of the bass in its natural form but I'm struggling a bit with shaping the EQ so it fits with kick and still sounds natural and doesn't get all boxy on me

(02-11-2014, 10:42 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote: is there something causing a discrepancy between what your ears are hearing in the low end and what's actually happening in the mix somehow?

I'll check some references to make sure...The problem with quick mixes, is that sometimes its hard to recover if there is a big problem

I think one more go with drums and bass...from scratch I suspect....and then on to greener pastures