Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Mix: Loud and Clear V3
Yeah, that bass line is a little challenging to sit into the mix nicely. I am finally to the point of working with the instruments and I kinda raised an eyebrow when I got to the bass guitar. Decided that the only way for me to deal with the bass sustain was to basically go the other route and sacrifice a lot of it so I put a low shelf to knock it back and then added some careful compression to even out the attacks, such as they were, and push it back even a little further. It's interesting that, raw, even though you don't hear a great deal of the bass attack, when you mute the track, you sure notice that it's gone and not entirely in a "hey, there's the rest of the band!" kind of way you would hope for. Undecided

The big burden here is that the transient on the bass is already not well defined and that is surprising considering that there's what sounds like a little pick slap in there but it also seems that the amp may have been driven to the saturation so the soft clipping is taking that away from us. I was not actually happy with the pick slap but since I couldn't get rid of it, had to find a way to work with it. Fortunately, against the acoustic strumming, it doesn't seem to poke through.

Slowly getting there... This one is proving to be not so straight forward and I'm not sure I'll be able to get something really pleasing but we'll see. Yesterday was running through EQ/inserts on drums, today was cymbals/hat and bass... One mic at a time and I'll get there eventually.

Big Grin
Old West Audio

Messages In This Thread
Updated Mix: Loud and Clear V3 - by pauli - 23-10-2014, 03:29 AM
RE: Loud and Clear V2 - by The_Metallurgist - 24-10-2014, 11:34 AM
RE: Loud and Clear V2 - by azwayne - 26-10-2014, 06:02 AM
RE: Loud and Clear V2 - by pauli - 26-10-2014, 09:23 PM
RE: Updated Mix: Loud and Clear V3 - by pauli - 27-10-2014, 10:26 PM
RE: Updated Mix: Loud and Clear V3 - by takka360 - 27-10-2014, 08:47 PM
RE: Updated Mix: Loud and Clear V3 - by pauli - 27-10-2014, 10:33 PM
RE: Updated Mix: Loud and Clear V3 - by azwayne - 28-10-2014, 08:08 AM
RE: Updated Mix: Loud and Clear V3 - by pauli - 29-10-2014, 02:39 PM