Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright First Mix
Hi, just wondered if you guys could take a look at my mix. I only did the final chorus because I don't have a massive amount of spare time and like to finish stuff in one session.

This is my very first mix of anything really so any opinions good/bad/terrible would be appreciated. I had trouble mixing the bass guitar for some reason, it seemed to sound very different on different speakers, so some assistance with that would be nice.
May end up doing the full song eventually if that would help.

Cheers, Jack

.mp3    Angels in Amplifier\'s first mix (chorus).mp3 --  (Download: 783.85 KB)

Good work!
Maybe just little work on vocals and guitar position with properly eq...
Drums have good space and color. Also bass is ok , maybe...maybe, just need a little lower frq customisation :-)
Continue your work man!
Thanks! Any specifics/tips on how to make the guitar and vocals sit better in the mix? And for the bass, just try and cut out some of the low end rumble that occasionally crops up?
Cheers, Jack
(18-10-2014, 05:32 PM)Jcripps Wrote: Thanks! Any specifics/tips on how to make the guitar and vocals sit better in the mix? And for the bass, just try and cut out some of the low end rumble that occasionally crops up?
Cheers, Jack

You have pm
Mixing is real science but on other side that is fun!
If you enjoy on mixing and music, you are on the right freq ;-)
Hey, welcome to the group and congrats on submitting your first mix for disection (we promise to only be snarky after you realize we're just pulling your leg. Smile )

Okay, here's my thoughts on this...

Bass guitar needs more compression. Try any LA-2A style unit (or if you don't have such a plugin, go for like 10ms attack and 150ms release on a guess.) Part of the problem is that the sustain on the bass is too prominent and it is hacking away at the rest of the mix. A little additional pressure ought to help you fit it into place.

You might also try putting a high shelf on the bass EQ and pull 5K+ down by a couple of DB to make room for all those lovely guitar overtones. One thing that you should do when you're evaluating any set of tracks is to insert an EQ (a rubber-band control type one works best for this), pick a dot and give it a fairly narrow Q (like 5 or 6). Pull it all the way to the top and then slowly sweep back and forth looking for areas of the sound that stand out well in front of where they should. (This will also help you to find the range where the main sound of the bass lies which can be useful later on.) These are probably resonnant tones either within the guitar or perhaps the room it was recorded in. When you find one, tighten the Q considerably further and try to issolate them so you can notch them down 3-6 dB.

Apart from the drums (and I suggest adding in more kick), it sounds like you left everything largely center-panned. That could also be part of the issue, not enough real estate for things to live in.
Old West Audio