Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Loud & Clear - Olli H
Good work Olli!
I like your interpretation with an acoustic heavy mix... it's refreshing! I don't have much to add to the comments already made... but I question a bit if the level of the overheads is a bit toppy and high. It's a very clean, yet not sterile, mix, until the crash cymbal/loose hat starts getting busy, where I feel like things in the upper range are somewhat out of control.

Is there a mono plate reverb or delay on the vocals? Whatever you're doing there sounds freakin' fantastic. I love your control and taste with ambiance... so clean and expressive! The vocal sound in general is quite enviable.

Simply fantastic, Olli.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thanks, Pauli

(22-10-2014, 05:02 AM)pauli Wrote: I like your interpretation with an acoustic heavy mix... it's refreshing! I don't have much to add to the comments already made... but I question a bit if the level of the overheads is a bit toppy and high. It's a very clean, yet not sterile, mix, until the crash cymbal/loose hat starts getting busy, where I feel like things in the upper range are somewhat out of control.
You're probably just right about that.
On the other hand I've been forced to listen lately too much music what my children love, and compared to that my upper range is quite mild still. I've asked them, doesn't the sound of their music bother them. "No at all, it's just fantastic." Hopefully in future they learn to appreciate different sounds.

(22-10-2014, 05:02 AM)pauli Wrote: Is there a mono plate reverb or delay on the vocals? Whatever you're doing there sounds freakin' fantastic. I love your control and taste with ambiance... so clean and expressive! The vocal sound in general is quite enviable.

I just checked what effects I used with vocals.

In Verse:
- ValhallaUberMod
- Plug&Mix Digital Plate
- ValhallaRoom (room)
- 16-note delay
- ValhallaVintageVerb
- Eventide MicroPitchShift

In Chorus
- Plug&Mix Digital Plate
- ValhallaRoom (hall)
- Eventide MicroPitchShift

It seems that I tend to do vocals quite difficult way Smile
I always wind up with about eight inserts and four or five send on my vocals too :p and then when it comes time for automation, I think "aw man..."
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
wow, I really like this! I would have given the drums a bigger role in the song, but the overall sound is so clean and different that I believe that this will turn to be my No1 mix of this song here Smile
mixing since April 2013
Latest version sounds quite drums-heavy, but I quite like that in a rock mix. Maybe I'd try to pump the guitars/piano up in the gaps a little more, though, nonetheless. Hihat feels a bit too dominant in the balance still, so it doesn't blend that well. Overall, though, a very creditable balance.