Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Loud & Clear - Olli H
Difficult one again.
I tried to make this loud and soft.

Most of the mixing time I spent with those parts where singer actually singed, and didn’t yell. And those yelling parts I just checked quickly. Maybe for that same reason the acoustic guitars got so dominant role in my mix.

My main reference was early Eagles. Mainly because I tried to mimic their double guitar sound that they used in some of their hits. But still I tried to a create modern frequency balance.

EDIT:
New version 2014-10-16 added with stronger drums.

EDIT 2:
New version 2014-10-28 added. More controlled hi-end, and more drums in chorus.

.mp3    2014-10-04b-loud-and-clear-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.08 MB)

.mp3    2014-10-16-loud-and-clear-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.08 MB)

.mp3    2014-10-28-loud-and-clear-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 10.08 MB)

Interesting mix - I like it.

It has a very live feeling to it, maybe because you've chosen a "natural" balance in terms of levels. The result is a definite sense or urgency that some more "produced" sounding mixes don't have.
Nice sounding mix!

Thanks for sharing.

Nice open sounding mix with great separation between the instruments. Very nice !!
Thanks for listening all! See you (hear you) in the next song.
Interesting mix. Nice live-feel indeed, giving it a more 'dirty' and urgent touch.

I do think this way the snare is a bit too undefined, thin. But ofcourse that is a matter of taste.

Cheers!

(08-10-2014, 01:52 PM)Olli H Wrote: Thanks for listening all! See you (hear you) in the next song.

Thanks for listening.

I agree that the snare is slightly thin if compared to some modern rock standards, but on the other hand it was my conscious decision to go more towards relaxed natural country rock sound than power rock. If I remember correctly, in the original arrangement acoustic guitars and piano had quite big role, and the electric guitar was quite boring. And surprisingly drums were quite bad sounding to be an official demo of quality mics. (Maybe it was the kit's fault.) Probably my more acoustic interpretation was a wrong one as this song is categorized under "Rock, Punk, Metal". Smile

The drum kit are a little thin soundin, I see you made it so by choice.
I wonder if a more sixties sound on the rest o the instruments would have suited better the thin drum sound. And then again the music doesnt speak "sixties" so thats a bad idea.
One thing I found were lead vocal lvl in chorus. To me it doesnt open up/shine in chorus. It feels like it drops in lvl. Just a tad, but prechorus build so fine and suggest chorus should be really big.
Good job on using existin tracks and makin it sound good.
I had to move horns and mute elgtr in B part. Didnt make sense to me, the el gtr in first part of B piece, then completely diffrent mood when it stopped playin.
Nice and soft, well your mix were louder than mine.
As usual nice clear balanced sound.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Thanks for listening. (I'll listen your version tonight.)

Maybe I should try slightly thicker drums. On the other hand I'm not sure if I want to open this one anymore. Smile

You probably right about "bigger" chorus. I do remember that I had difficulties to listen that yelling at all, so maybe it was unconsious choice to keep the levels down.

"To be louder" is to me normally the sign of bad quality. Smile But I admit, that currently I'm practicing methods to make things louder. Just for the sake of rehearsal, I try to find the limits how loud can I go. But still I think that the use of volume knob will give you better results than complicated methods to reduce dynamics.
I like your version Olli .Good choice of reference , Sounds good to me nice clean open sound everything fits in nicely Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts