Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another attempt!
(02-10-2014, 09:57 PM)Lammy Wrote:
(02-10-2014, 06:07 PM)emmrecs Wrote: Hi Lammy. Thanks for your comments. I had previously read the post you refer to. I assume your screenshot was taken in PT? I'm using Reaper and I don't see that "misalignment", even when zooming in to the point where the whole screen shows less than 7/100ths of a second! But I will explore further!

I understand what you mean, I have my little troubles in getting a consistent waveform display in reaper, on which I'm just an occasional user. Anyway, I made it (see screenshot) importing the waveforms and zooming in.
What troubled my ears is the 7ms roughly in the snare spill on the OH (that would imply a distance of the OH microphones of 2.4 meters from the snare). Not a tight overhead, nearly a room take. Or something in between. And the double-ness was emphasised the moment I added reverbs obtaining a moving transient through the sound field.

I preferred to "align" the snare, and control the reverbs through the plugins.

As mentioned I like your latest.
I have maybe a comment that may be relevant.
The sustaining bass notes, a little loud, are prominent may be overwhelming the spaceness and breadth. Maybe I'm just obsessive compulsive... Angel
cheers

In my humble opinion, gentlemen, the waveform visuals are a great tool, especially for simple phase alignment in the drums... but make sure you're listening with your ears and not with your eyes (although I've not had the problem in Reaper you guys are talking about). If you hear a phase anomaly but you can't pin it down visually, try using the nudge tool and push it around in increments of 0.5 ms to see if you can get an improvement in the sound. Don't forget to try the polarity inversion button, and always check any sort of phase alignments with the overheads in mono before you sign off on it.

For my part, emmrecs, I felt like the snare sound wasn't too good on the close mic, but it was even worse on the overhead mics.... so I made a copy of overheads track, inverted the polarity and put a gate on it. Then I used the close mic'd snare to trigger the gate to open on the overheads copy... basically, whenever the snare plays, the overhead is muted for a split second, which ducks the whole phase issue entirely.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Many thanks again to all posters. It's good to see a range of opinions and ideas, some of which may not be agreed with, but all of which are invaluable in refining one's work.

In particular, pauli, I understand your view on the cymbal rolls but, to me, they are a feature of this track/song/arrangement and hence deserve to be quite prominent!

And Lammy, I think those sustained bass notes are, again, a fundamental feature of the "style", hence their level! Perhaps their "effectiveness" depends on the means by which one is listening to the track? I use a pair of Presonus Eris E8 monitors and, to me, they do not overwhelm; perhaps on headphones they might sound more prominent.

In summary, my attempt at this track has been very enjoyable and all the various comments received have been very helpful and encouraging. Thank you.
Using Reaper and Adobe Audition CS6. Win 7 32 bit. www.emmrecsmedia.co.uk
Features of the style they may be... but remember to keep them from diverting the focus on more important features.

In all honesty, though, I still think this is a good mix.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(11-10-2014, 01:50 PM)emmrecs Wrote: And Lammy, I think those sustained bass notes are, again, a fundamental feature of the "style", hence their level! Perhaps their "effectiveness" depends on the means by which one is listening to the track? I use a pair of Presonus Eris E8 monitors and, to me, they do not overwhelm; perhaps on headphones they might sound more prominent.

emmrecs, no problem. In fact I'm reluctant to comment when the comment risks to go too much down the line of "I'd done this, I'd prefer that". Trespassing the line from objectiveness to personal taste is easy.
Bass balance is anyway priority and super-easy to get objectively wrong unless listening conditions are ideal. A/B with reference material usually helps.
If you're happy with your bass, I'm happy :-)

(04-10-2014, 09:15 PM)pauli Wrote: In my humble opinion, gentlemen, the waveform visuals are a great tool, especially for simple phase alignment in the drums... but make sure you're listening with your ears and not with your eyes (although I've not had the problem in Reaper you guys are talking about).

Sure, I zoomed in since I heard it (not the other way around). Ears rule!

cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland