Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loud And Clear - HB Mix
Had a good session pulling this one together....lots of juggling at the beginning getting everything balanced.....but a good fun project
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
New version, mix_02 uploaded

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
New version, mix_03 uploaded

New version, mix_04 uploaded

.mp3    Loud And Clear_HB Mix_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.42 MB)

New version Mix_02.... No major changes, just house keeping after listening with fresh ears

1. minor re-balance and additional automation of vocals - improve harmonies
2. micro re-balances elsewhere...not really discernible but I knew they were there and were beginning to drive me nuts!

.mp3    Loud And Clear_HB Mix_02_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.42 MB)

Sounds well balanced on iphone. The piano, especially in intro has that hard compressor make up gain caulity of looooong decay, you could help it ( more ) and be prepared I may steal that idea.
The bv are tuned ? Some notes trigger half a note off ...
You moved verse guitar 1st verse to 2nd ? Good idea, the flageolets arent as strong as the chords.
I mute elgtr 1st verse to make space and help the song build up.
Obviously its hard to tell the macro changes you made on iphonespeaker but it sounds great
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(02-10-2014, 05:12 PM)Voelund Wrote: Sounds well balanced on iphone. The piano, especially in intro has that hard compressor make up gain caulity of looooong decay, you could help it ( more ) and be prepared I may steal that idea.

Thank you - I cant think of any nicer compliment than somebody using an element of mine as inspiration for one of their own mixes

(02-10-2014, 05:12 PM)Voelund Wrote: The bv are tuned ? Some notes trigger half a note off ...

I made some small tuning adjustments, but wasn't overly happy with the result so ended up making some fairly aggressive automated fader rides on the more discordant sections

(02-10-2014, 05:12 PM)Voelund Wrote: You moved verse guitar 1st verse to 2nd ? Good idea, the flageolets arent as strong as the chords.
I mute elgtr 1st verse to make space and help the song build up.

I haven't changed anything in the arrangement - i think you confuse me with yourself (lol)

(02-10-2014, 05:12 PM)Voelund Wrote: Obviously its hard to tell the macro changes you made on iphonespeaker but it sounds great

Cheers.....thanks again for stopping by and leaving your feedback
It sounds like you have phase problems here
(03-10-2014, 03:00 PM)takka360 Wrote: It sounds like you have phase problems here

I checked obvious phase conflicts (Drums, Vox and guitars - basically everything) before i started mixing...had to invert a couple of tracks) and just double checked and everything looks OK.

That said....you're obviously hearing something so I've had a think about it. I did add a very fast compressor to drum buss in mix-02, with HP filter to avoid kick, to rein in a couple of snare/tom peaks....its only pulling 1-2db, but maybe its effecting OH's etc as i do hear a slight change of timbre now in the upper frequencies, which could sound like phase issues - I wonder if that is what you're hearing?
I think you have a good start, but it’s not ready yet. Balances are just fine but somehow the sound doesn’t open up naturally. Maybe Takka is refering to the same thins. Maybe the overheads are too mono now. Cymbals feel suffocated. Too much compression there? If you want to do mono drums (that's always a good idea), you might try to separete cymbals sligthly better, and maybe do more stereo spread with acoustic guitar.

Vocals feel warm, but at the same time slightly boxy.

Instrumental breaks are quite weak at the moment. It feels as if some instrument is missing. Maybe the electric guitar is too processed at the moment.
(04-10-2014, 01:49 PM)Olli H Wrote: I think you have a good start, but it’s not ready yet. Balances are just fine but somehow the sound doesn’t open up naturally. Maybe Takka is refering to the same thins. Maybe the overheads are too mono now. Cymbals feel suffocated. Too much compression there? If you want to do mono drums (that's always a good idea), you might try to separete cymbals sligthly better, and maybe do more stereo spread with acoustic guitar.

Vocals feel warm, but at the same time slightly boxy.

Instrumental breaks are quite weak at the moment. It feels as if some instrument is missing. Maybe the electric guitar is too processed at the moment.

Hey Olli - I think you're spot on about cymbals.....I'd forgotten they (and OHs) were mono files and hadn't panned them....school boy errorBlush. ... dealing with that clears out the centre, helps the OH's breathe and stops the clash with vox which was making them sound boxy.

Cheers
New version - Mix_03. Few more tweeks

.mp3    Loud And Clear_HB Mix_03_Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.26 MB)

I think it's better now.