Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Girls Under Glass - We Feel Alright (Pharos Mix)
Hey guys! I recently found this website and I have to say, this is an awesome resource. Thanks a lot for putting this together Smile

I recently made a lot of changes in my studio so I'll be doing a bunch of mixes to put everything through its paces.

Here's my mix of the Girls Under Glass song "We Feel Alright".

Thanks for any feedback Smile

.mp3    Girls Under Glass (Pharos Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 4.85 MB)

Hey Pharos, this is a nice mix, indeed. One of the best I've heard for this track... it's a toughie.

The main things hanging me up (aside from the bass issue, which is really only cured by replacing the bass synth IMO... not gonna fault you for that) are that the lead guitar is a bit too loud, the backing rhythm guitars have a bit too much noise in the treble frequencies, and there's some pretty significant midrange congestion.

For the lead guitar, I'm thinking there's a bit too much body relative to the "wail." Trimming a bit out around 800 somewhere seems like a good idea to me. As for the rhythm guitars, consider that an electric guitar doesn't really have any fundamentals above 4000 hertz... almost everything above that is distorted pickup noise. When your ears get accustomed to the noise, and it only takes about 10 seconds, cutting up there can feel like you're throwing a blanket on the tone, but try a low pass filter around 6000 and take a break. You'll cut a lot of harshness out of the tone and find the music a bit less fatiguing, and it'll help the vocal cut, too.

As for the mids, I didn't check it on an analyzer or anything, but it feels like there's a ton of stuff happening from 400 to 800... like there's a jumble of instruments all fussing with eachother. There's a stuffy, nasal quality to the range and it seems like a good idea to lean a few things out... the bass is probably the primary offender in this case, and I'm not sure if cuts will help, though. The guitars could give way a little I suppose, but around 500 is where electric guitars have most of their body, so that might make them feel a little anemic.

But given the challenges presented, I think you've put forward a good mix. Tough tough tough, this one.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!