Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoping for some feedback
Well, to me, the version with low cuts sounds more clear. I have the feeling each instrument is at it's right place. Bass is more defined.

Maybe I'm biased because you told us which version has the low cut Rolleyes

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion.

I will keep in mind to always check which approach works better with a specific song.
Hi all,

I did another version with less reverb and would be curious about your opinions.

Thanks,
Markus

.mp3    Im_Alright_5.mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

Personally I prefer the low-cut version, it's clearer.
One thing I find a bit odd in your mix is the level of the room/verb on the drums... I think you've pushed that too far or have too much pre-delay on it, it sounds almost like a slapback on kick and snare, which is a bit too obvious IMHO. A matter of taste perhaps?
I'm not too much of a mixer, (I work on my own songs mostly) but I'm used to critical listening and this is what I would change on your mix.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Just realized there was a version with less reverb.
It's better.
But the slapback 'feeling' is still there on the snare...
I suppose it's a plate, and again, I suppose there's too much pre-delay on it?
I would prefer to feel the snare bite rather than hear the reverb, if you see what I mean.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks for your feedback ptalbot.

I did another version with different rooms. The rooms are all IR created from a lexicon 960 loaded into Reverence (the cubase IR plugin). It's true that it was a plate in the mixes above but the pre-delay was only 15ms. BUT I had it gated with a rather low release time of about 200ms. Maybe that was the reason.

Now I have different rooms on the snare (small room) as well as on the whole drumkit (large wooden room) and have also raised the release time of the snare-reverb gate quite significantly.

I hope it's better now.

.mp3    Im_Alright_6.mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

It's certainly different, but I find that it's accentuating a bad ringing in the snare, which is a bit obnoxious TBH.
Maybe you could EQ the send of the snare to cut that bad resonance?
Otherwise, I like the overall ambience, nice!

Some air moved here
Thanks for the input.
To be honest, I didn't recognize that ringing yesterday.
However, I just did a rather quick and dirty exchange of rooms and didn't change the EQ on the send (as you suggested).
I will look into that again this evening.
Hi all,

I attended a hands-on mixing course last week and learned quite some new stuff. So I thought I might revisit that mix again and finally ended up reworking it.

Here is the new version. I hope you like it better than the others and would be happy to hear your comments.

Best regards,
Markus

.mp3    Im_Alright_20141205.mp3 --  (Download: 6.84 MB)

(05-12-2014, 08:06 PM)orthogonalrecords Wrote: Hi all,

I attended a hands-on mixing course last week and learned quite some new stuff. So I thought I might revisit that mix again and finally ended up reworking it.

Here is the new version. I hope you like it better than the others and would be happy to hear your comments.

Best regards,
Markus

This sounds great to me, and a great improvement from your earlier mixes, though I feel like the electric guitar sounds a bit weak (at least in the first part where it harmonizes with the acoustic). I think you would do the mix a great service by bringing the e. guitar forward in that section. Just a thought!