Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ballad
This mix looks pretty popular. Anyway here my first version, even if I think it's still a little crude. I think it's still missing the glueing factor. But direction is set.
Minimal automation still (on pads!!).

- Vox, is treated with a UAD API Vision channel strip, plate and hall reverb, a bit of flanger
- similar plate and ambience reverbs on most of drum components
- all stems limited/amped with 1176 emu
- summed with D-Box
- pre-master but there's little clearance for master (peaks at -2.7dB)

Night work on headphone.
I'm going to listen to some versions from the community now.
thanks for listening
cheers

.mp3    Full 01.01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.72 MB)

"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
There was something weird in the drums alignment in the 01.01 mix.
By inspecting more closely, some tracks are now pushed forward.
See attachments. Screenshots are both of the aligned tracks.
In addition overhead now will get phase inversion.

The funny thing is that now drums sound cohesively "very" squared. But I think I'll wash them up with more effects.

Moving on with the refinements...
cheers

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    01 DrumsBeforeAlignment.mp3 --  (Download: 589.41 KB)

.mp3    02 DrumsAligned.mp3 --  (Download: 587.38 KB)

from Switzerland
Ok in another hour I threw in improvements (re-eqed the vox, and slightly changed the reverbs) and a quick master with parallel compression and limiter.
Maybe still too dry but I need a break now.
thanks for listening/commenting etc...
cheers

.mp3    Full 01.02.M01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.66 MB)

from Switzerland
Hello Lammy! I like your final mix a lot. The only minor thing is your drums. You may use a lot of the overheads in order to make your drums sound more natural. But in this multitrack it does not work because in the overheads the snare is mostly sound from the right channel. So I would tell you to use a little less the overhead track and use more the kick and snare in order to have your kick and snare clearly in mid. Now in order to get that natural sound and aliveness send all your drums in a hall reverb with no pre-delay and very very short decay time (close to gated). That trick will give you the image of a live room.
(04-10-2014, 01:24 AM)Andreas Tyranopoulos Wrote: You may use a lot of the overheads in order to make your drums sound more natural. But in this multitrack it does not work because in the overheads the snare is mostly sound from the right channel. So I would tell you to use a little less the overhead track and use more the kick and snare in order to have your kick and snare clearly in mid. Now in order to get that natural sound and aliveness send all your drums in a hall reverb with no pre-delay and very very short decay time (close to gated). That trick will give you the image of a live room.

Well well, you're right. Just enough to listen after reading yours and the snare is definitely right-winged.

I'll try the hall reverb trick... !
thanks
from Switzerland
You are welcome Lammy! I would like to hear your new results!!
As per Andreas' suggestion.
So...
- Dual mono Trim on Overheads to get a good -3.5dB on the right chn. Without this, the snare wouldn't go center no matter what.
- Better eq of the center snare track
- quite some adjusting of the additional hall reverb
- quite some adjustments to the OTHER pre-existing reverbs

I've tried to apply the same approach to the piano tracks. The piano seem a little mellower.

No changes in the master.

I've played with this (nice and easy) trick to have it remembered.
cheers

.mp3    Full 01.03.M01.mp3 --  (Download: 9.63 MB)

from Switzerland
Hello again! I think that you are pretty closer to the point now but I believe you can do it better!! I can hear very clearly the snare in the middle and that's a good stuff! But now I also hear the HH most in middle! If you just push higher the snare track, without changing anything in the stereo image of the OH you will get the right result to my opinion. The other thing that I noticed is that in the chorus I'm trying to hear the kick and snare but I hardly can. Is this an automation volume or it's because of some phase problem? If you want to hear what I mean about the relationship between the snare and the overheads listen to my mix. Finally I hope you find useful my suggestions and I'm happy to hear your improvement!!