Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Broken Man Mix [Only Free Plugins Used]
Hi!
My first mix here so don't hesitate to give me some feedback (I truly appreciate creative criticism).
When it comes to mixing I often use parallel processing on most instruments.
In this particular song I've created parallel tracks for compression, delay, reverb and my favorite – distortion (usually all of them where additionally equalized).
The number of tracks grown to nearly 50 including Reapers folders tracks (I'm not sure if this is right or wrong, maybe You can tell me? :)
My main aim was to bring some life into the mix (with a little sweetening like reversed piano before the choruses and some reverb on particular vocal phrases) but also keeping the balance (especially between verses and choruses). For this task volume automation came rally handy.
I've also made some little arrangements changes including additional (copied) voice in the choruses as well as keeping the synth (the track original name was “13_Synth1”) for the final chorus.
For the mastering I've mainly wanted to concentrate on grueling the whole mix with compression and reverb adding it a touch of sparkle by slight boosting the high frequencies. Also putting low frequencies more into mono (using M/S equalization) was a good catch in my opinion since the kick drum was jumping like crazy through the stereo image of this one.
The sad thing is that the whole mix and mastering toked me nearly 20 hours (17 on mixing and 3 on mastering).

Here is the list of plugins that I've used, maybe You'll find something useful for yourself since all of them are free (some require registration on producers sites):

Eq: ReaEq, PTEq-1a, T-Rack CS Classic EQ
Compressors: Molot, jsCompShaper, MSI Stereo Bus Compressors
De-esser: Spitfish
Vocal tuning: ReaTune
Distortions: TSE 808, TSE B.O.D.
Saturation: Ferric, Tessla
Exciter: Modern Exciter
Transients: BitterSweet v3
Delay: NastyDLA
Reverb: GlaceVerb
Stereo enhancers: UpStereo, JS Sstillwell/stereowidth
Clipper: GClip
Limiter: Limiter no6
Meters: TT-DR-Meter, Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst v2

And here's the mix, hope You'll like it :)

.mp3    SpeakSoftly_BrokenMan [MixingAfterHours].mp3 --  (Download: 9.39 MB)

Love for music in the world devoid of feelings.
https://www.youtube.com/user/exotrio
hi mixingafterhours,cool name mann. nice mix to say you did it with free plug i would watch out for a little mud aspecially on 2nd verse on vocal and some instrument but yeah well done,cudjoe
(13-09-2014, 04:53 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: hi mixingafterhours,cool name mann. nice mix to say you did it with free plug i would watch out for a little mud aspecially on 2nd verse on vocal and some instrument but yeah well done,cudjoe

Hi.
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I think I’ve overdid the reverb which got really noticeable after adding compression in the mastering phase. Got to think about adding such compression and reverb on the whole mix right after getting the tracks levels done. I’ve read that it might fix my surprises with shifted balance and space after adding such effect while mastering the final tracks.
Anyway thanks again You’ve really helped me man Smile
Nice sounding mix ,I like the depth you have created with effects.
Maybe a touch less master compression.
This was one of my first DAW mixes and Thinking of having another try using Reaper.
I found it a hard one to mix ,Great job Big Grin.
Hi!
Yeah You're absolutely right about the compression, it brought out the percussion reverb to much.
I've head it too after a few days since I've posted this one. I could leave the mix for a day or two before posting it.
Also the vocals became to thin since I've boosted the highs to much.
Yet I find mixing here a great opportunity to develop skills.
Be back soon with more mixes when I'll finish my EP Smile

Cheers!

P.S.: I also use Reaper and it's a great DAW. So much for so little money.

(08-01-2015, 07:30 AM)thedon Wrote: Nice sounding mix ,I like the depth you have created with effects.
Maybe a touch less master compression.
This was one of my first DAW mixes and Thinking of having another try using Reaper.
I found it a hard one to mix ,Great job Big Grin.