Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Noob Would Love Feedback :) - Burning Bridges
My first crack at it. The drums need to cut more and the vocal has too much sizzle. There is also some compressor clamping the mix in a few spots I need to address. Would love some feedback!

.mp3    Burning_Bridges.mp3 --  (Download: 5.21 MB)

(08-09-2014, 10:48 PM)Amentis Wrote: Would love some feedback!

if you don't give, you won't get....giving is harder than mixing and you will learn more by engaging in it Big Grin
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Wat up amentis, first off your username and my username, besides being a singular form of a latin word have alot in common, which is crazy, not important, just wanted to mention it. Also, do you any affiliation with the band? Anyways, this is gonna be kinda long, you stated "noob" so i wanted to ask if you have any knowledge of the plugins, or hardware you are using. Not just knowing that eq cuts or boosts signals, a compressor.... compresses a signal, what reverb, REAL, reverb is, harmonies, delays, how to get correct timing for delays,( a simple calculation: 60000÷tempo = 1/4 note delay, divide that by 2, or muliply by 2 and so on to get different times that fit the tempo of the song, and there are triplets and dotted, all play a big role in quite a few different fx. If you already understood these things, just a few of the many tools, then you cant consider yourself noob. from what ive learned, personal experience only, knowing how to use your tools, is just the begining, but not noob. You will always learn something too, one day you'll think you got a compressor down, then the next you'll find something else about it and youll be like damn i thought i had this, again my own experience. Also, if you happen to go by eq charts, setting suggestions for plugins or hardware, remember those are starting points, kind of an average of what worked for the person who wrote those things. You have your own taste, and will start to mix things your own way, but a majority consensus rules, and dont forget to listen to what the artists want. If you dont like a comment, dont ignore it, punch a tv, kick a chair or something, and after you calm down try it out even if you know better.
Vocals to get the unwanted shrill out i dipped around 2500hz, dipped 300hz for mud, rolled off @120hz, dipped 1200hz and raised 3500 so i can bring it out. Basic stuff, i did more stuff to it, but for me around 2500 was annoying and 1200 took the nasaling drone out. Take this with a grain of salt, this with other processing is what worked for me. For the clamping simply lowering your ratio could help. My drums dont stand out as much as others but for the kick i sent to a bus channel, then put a compressor with a key input on the bass at the end of the chain. In the key i selected the bus i sent my kick to, turned it on and set the compressor to taste so it would duck the bass under the kick when it hit. For the snare i simply set up a gated reverb, hats and cymbals, dumped 200 and below, dipped 5000 and high shelf 16000. Listen to my first mix then my 2nd and you can really tell a difference. Eq guides do help tho, good starting points. And for your bass, try rolling off @80 and a little boost around 1000 you might like it. Dont know if any of this is usefull, just a little feedback.
(11-09-2014, 10:25 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:

if you don't give, you won't get....giving is harder than mixing and you will learn more by engaging in it Big Grin

true words. give feedback and you will get feedback. I see so many people posting their stuff and not giving feedback on other mixes, even in this thread. How do you think this site works? It takes time to listen to a song and write a comment. If you are not willing to do this for others, why should anyone do this for you? I have listened to most mixes of Burning Bridges and wrote a lot of comments - but I rarely see those guys giving feedback on other mixes.
(12-09-2014, 11:03 AM)Blitzzz Wrote:
(11-09-2014, 10:25 PM)The_Metallurgist Wrote:

but I rarely see those guys giving feedback on other mixes.

Noted
And as I wrote before: you don't need a lot of EQ and compression for this song. You can get a good mix with filters, fader automation and a little bit of delay and reverb. The real challenge is to MIX this song, not FIX it. Give the 2nd and 3rd chorus more weight, more impact. Do something with the rhythm guitars in the 2nd verse to make the 2nd verse more interesting. Maybe add some glitch fx here and there, a reverse reverb or whatever draws the attention of the listener in one of the pauses. If you're just turning eq and comp knobs for 6 hours you have wasted your time. But that's just my opinion and I could be totally wrong Smile
Thanks for the feedback and Im definitely going to be jumping in and giving feedback as well. Just found this site and getting my feet wet.

@Debellatoris No affiliation lol I found the word years ago when looking for a cool gamer tag Smile and thanks for the tips!