Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schoolboy Fascination
Well, pretty much all of the tracks are virtual instruments, so there's only so much you can do to keep it from sounding a little sterile, but I'm happy.

Are the lyrics vaguely creepy to anyone else? (lol)

Kinda tough to make room for everything, and I did dump a few tracks that weren't adding anything important IMO. Not really a fan of virtual guitars Sad because even though these tracks were programmed very, very well, MIDI guitar is always going to sound fake... so they're blended down into the mix intentionally.

The snare, kick and ride didn't fit the style for me, so I replaced them. Listening now, I probably should've replaced the crash cymbals, too... For the toms there's some pretty heavy handed transient modelling to give them some smack.

Anyway, I hope you like it. I had fun mixing such a nice arrangement, those occasionally splashes of pizzicato strings are pure magic.

.mp3    Schoolboy Fascination Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.59 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
I think you made a really good attempt at this mix, in my opinion there is still much to fix though to achieve your goal. The mix sounds a bit thin and the volume leveling is sort of awkward to me, for example the toms are too loud in my opinion, its like single parts of the mix are jumping out of it from time to time. The Eqing was pretty good to me, and I liked the replacements you made. The snare just had a weird reverb on it for my taste. All in all it sounds a bit unnatural, but its not a bad try. Keep it up