Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Black Bloc Mixing
I tried out with this song. It has been really hard to get those reverb-delayed guitars in the mix. and I'm sure that i would get angry if tried the Mono campatibility of the mixdown... So I just didn't.

.mp3    BLACKBLOC_MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 14.65 MB)

The more I mix, The less I know.
Nice clean sounds going on here. You're right that the overheads lose some HF in mono, but it's no disaster. Overall everything is clear, tight, well-controlled, and natural-sounding. The vocal reverb might perhaps be a bit boxy -- I'd try for a patch that fits with the drums a bit more naturally -- but the general level and length of the effect seem pretty appropriate. Good small-speaker translation too, especially on the bass. All-round good job.

However, taking my technical hat off for the moment, I can't help a sneaking suspicion that you might have missed the point of the music by cleaning it up so proficiently. This is an anti-establishment rant, but it now seems rather safe somehow, and lacking in alternative character and grit. The vocals in particular come across a bit too much like U87 overdubs in a booth rather than SM57 scratch tracks live with the band, and that's a loss for me. Still, that kind of thing is definitely a judgement call, and I think it's good perspective for everyone to hear a confidently implemented alternative version like this.

Even if it is wrong. Tongue