Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Learning to mix...
Had a go at this mix. Theres a lot going on and it's hard to find space so pulled a bunch of stuff out. Mixed on a set of £16 headphones with protools factory settings. I'm interested to hear what anyone thinks? I've just started getting into mixing but have spent my life in studios as an artist and you pick things up so I'm giving it a go.

.mp3    Zeno_Signs_mix test.mp3 --  (Download: 8.86 MB)

If you are learning to mix, this song is probably to hard for you. You have good sounding drums but vocal needs more high end to cut through. Your balance is terrible, especially heavy on the right side during choruses. Bass is good but needs more presence. And, those guitars are too muddy and non-defined. Your mix screams for high end and it has too much mids. Try cutting around 500 Hz about 3-6 dB on drums (close mics), and boost around 6-12 kHz on overheads, also highpass everything around 100 Hz except kick and bass. And pan the rythm guitars in chorus ones hard left and others hard right and also try to bring down lead gtrs by 6 dB, and pan one 50L and other 50R and give them a little reverb.
Part before the final chorus sounds interesting.