Poll: Do you want one more song of the Forkupines?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Nah, first one sucked for mixing.
2.78%
1 2.78%
Only if it isn't as hard to mix as Semantics!
2.78%
1 2.78%
Yes, I love challenges!
94.44%
34 94.44%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Official Producer of Semantics - FAQ about the original mix!
Thumbsup!
Well, here we go.

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms-mtk.htm#F...oomInWater

Thanks for everything!
(12-05-2015, 01:04 PM)wurstdrummer Wrote: -two overheads, two room mics, one ambient mic, one "mess"mic (I'll say more to that later)

Would that be what they used to call a "crush mic"? As I understand it, this is an omnidirectional mic (often rather cheap) that you hung on the far wall about head height then compressed basically flat and tucked in lightly underneath the rest of the drums in order to add a little grit to the drum mix?

BTW, thanks for the tracks and thanks for giving us the new one. Looking forward to mixing it, now that i finished this one. I actually didn't find this mix extremely difficult. I think I spent about 14-15 hours on it which is only slightly longer than average for me. Biggest issue I had other than fitting the vocals to the tune was phasiness between the double tracked guitars towards the end (EG1/EG11 during the final build.)
Old West Audio
(29-10-2015, 07:40 AM)azwayne Wrote:
(12-05-2015, 01:04 PM)wurstdrummer Wrote: -two overheads, two room mics, one ambient mic, one "mess"mic (I'll say more to that later)

Would that be what they used to call a "crush mic"? As I understand it, this is an omnidirectional mic (often rather cheap) that you hung on the far wall about head height then compressed basically flat and tucked in lightly underneath the rest of the drums in order to add a little grit to the drum mix?

BTW, thanks for the tracks and thanks for giving us the new one. Looking forward to mixing it, now that i finished this one. I actually didn't find this mix extremely difficult. I think I spent about 14-15 hours on it which is only slightly longer than average for me. Biggest issue I had other than fitting the vocals to the tune was phasiness between the double tracked guitars towards the end (EG1/EG11 during the final build.)

Hi man,
yeeeeaaah... well, the "crush mic" is actually an sm57 placed between the snare and kick pointing nowhere specific. Tongue
I didn't notice phase issues on the guitars! Sorry if I didn't see them before handing them out to mike senior (the one who uploaded them here)... :/
> yeeeeaaah... well, the "crush mic" is actually an sm57 placed between the snare and kick pointing nowhere specific.

Oh! Yeah, I know that technique. My instructors called that a 'crotch mic'. When all you have is one mic, that can work to get the drum kit as long as the drummer holds back a bit on the kick and the snare. Never used it myself, but it's in my memory as a fall back. Naturally, their demonstration didn't go so well since they tried it with a 414. Even with the pad both on the mic and at the board it was just getting killed. Tongue
Old West Audio
(27-08-2014, 12:55 PM)wurstdrummer Wrote: Hi guys,

I'm the guy who did the original job on the officially released version of Semantics. I've been looking through the Semantics-related threads and I've seen that many of you seem to have lots of problems with the mix and the song has been described as "a sh*tload of work".
So I'm here to answer any questions about the recording and mixing process and to help as good as I'm able to, but let me tell you that I had to spend way more than 20 hours of work on this one and I'm not a professional sound guy Angel

Basic facts:
Interface: Tascam US-1800
DAW: Logic Pro X
Main plugins: Waves Complete Pack, EZmix, Superior Drummer 2.0 (Kick, Toms have been triggered)
Freeware-Plugins: Lepou Lextac for DI-Guitars with some cab impulses I found on the internet,
Mics:
Rode NT1-A (room and vocals)
some AKG for Overheads,
2x Shure sm57 (Snare Top & Bottom)
some condenser for the hi-hat,
Sennheiser e609 (amped guitars)

Any questions to me.

BTW I have one more song of that band that I could provide here but let me tell you that it has even more tracks and is a lot more difficult to mix, let me know if you'd like to have it here Rolleyes

This is a heck of a well arranged, recorded, and produced song.. I listen to the official version and know how I hear my version of it.. But.. The high level of attention needed to actually mix this one moves from "practice" to a "job" lol.. But it's cool you guys made this available because if anyone wants to know what it would be like to work with A+ caliber material, this one is it...

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Hi guys and gals,

I have good and bad news.

First of all, the latest release got the Forkupines signed on Midsummer Records which is a growing and promising German rock and metal label. So, yay! Cool

Unfortunately that means that none of the tracks on the upcoming album will be available for your use since it's now officially protected material. I'm sorry. Same applies for new material anytime soon.

Still, in the name of the Forkupines I want to thank you for your massive support on this page, countless mixes and Facebook likes and, most of all, feedback on my own mixes.
You guys contributed a lot to make a small band become a young star of the modern German music scene. THANKS, YOU ARE AWESOME!

For my part, I started working in the recording studio the Forkupines did the drums of Yet The Same in. I don't know if I'll ever be working with the Forkupines again anytime soon but it's not impossible. Just that I'm moving on and working with lots of other bands now, too. With some luck I can convince my boss to share some of his state-of-the-art material. I'll certainly try and I'll keep you updated on that.

Well, that's it for now. So... so long and thanks for all the fish!
Enjoy the first released song from the Forkupines' new album "Here, away from" which will be fully released on CD and Vinyl here on september 29th.

Till - Wurstdrummer - former producer of the Forkupines, drummer of LEAD Inc. and sound engineering assistant at Tiny Pond Studios.

I took the tracks as they were, kept all the amps, the drums were just fine, all extremely usable files, great job tracking seeing as you are not a professional tracking engineer! Very cool band by the way!