Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken Man (Beanblaster Mix)
Hi there,

Recently I tried to make my first electornic track and what a surprise it was bad... (at least I'm not a 13 years old kid, spamming it on youtube xD)
So I started watching tutorials and reading about how I could possibly improve. During that process I stumbled upon mixing and mastering. Since then I'm more fascinated about this than making a track by myself.

'Broken Man' is my first mix ever. I'd really appriciate some feedback, on how I could improve.

In my opinion the thing I'm lacking the most at the moment is compression:
I know the principle how it should work, but I can't really hear it working. For example if my meter tells me it's compressing (-?)10dB's (1:3 ratio) and I ajust the output gain the way, that the volume remains the same, I don't hear a difference.
(By the way, I was mixing the track on my (new xD) KRK KNS 8400 (Headphones) because I have no space for monitor speakers...)

Greetings,

Martin

.mp3    BrokenMan (Mastered).mp3 --  (Download: 9.44 MB)

Not an expert by far, but from what I hear I'd say you need to separate the different sounds in the mix. Everything seems to come from the middle in a thick, messy column of sound. Try to keep the most important for you in the middle and separate everything else by panning, EQ or using effects.

About the compression, the basic principle is reducing the dynamics range so you can play that track louder overall, but you can do much more stuff with it. Anyway you should definitely hear a difference... if for example you compress the voice it would help the quieter parts stand out from the rest of the mix, and keep the louder parts in range.

As I said, I'm not an expert by far and I hope to help as much as I can from what I know.
ITB Setup: Reaper, Airwindows, IK Multimedia TR5, XLN AD2 ATrigger and RC-20, Waves.
Monitoring: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII, Behritone, Sennheiser HD 650. Semi-treated room.