Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay Menon - CEFEs MIX
Here is my version.

No so sure about the vocal level in the mix. Is it too loud?

.mp3    Jay Menon - CEFEs MIX.mp3 --  (Download: 5.65 MB)

Hey Cefe, I like where you're going with this. As for the vocal level, this is basically a matter of taste to some extent. There are two main strategies for a pop vocal in general... vocal IN the mix, and vocal ON TOP of the mix. This is very much a vocal on top mix, and there's nothing wrong with that... though there are definitely some opportunities for refinement.

Basically, if you're going to have a super on top vocal like this, it's really important to get the EQ right on the surrounding instruments, and keep them in their place. In particular, I'd look into clearing some space out in the low mids. The vocal tone is a bit harsh, and that says to me that you're having a hard time getting enough clarity because the buildups down south are muddying the definition... which might lead you to push the EQ somewhere from 2000 to 5000 to give the vocal some cut. Based on what I'm hearing, I'd say the piano and pads are taking up too much space in that region for your particular strategy. It may be the harshness that's fueling this perception, but the vocal feels a little too close in my opinion, too... I'm tempted to suggest a bit of reverb to blend it in just a bit. Some level automation would make your life a bit easier, too.

I'd carve up the pads a bit more personally, and maybe lower them in level... just so they're filling up the gaps in the spectrum. A good rule of thumb with pads (unless you want to use them like an instrument) is that you should turn them up until you can just barely hear them.... then turn them down a teeny bit. And take a look at the top end of the cymbal rolls, they're very bright.

One more thing to think about... close your eyes when you listen, and pay attention to the depth field a little bit. I'm not of the opinion personally that it should 100% realistic... but it could be a little more believable. In general, the deeper you'd like to place a sound in the mix, you'll want more reverb with denser sonics... and less treble.

Good step in the right direction. Enjoyed listening and looking forward to any revisions Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Mix Rev1.
Thanks for your analysis and suggestions. Based on your comments I tried to give more clarity and less harshness. I changed a few eqs only.

.mp3    Jay Menos - CEFEs MIX Rev1.mp3 --  (Download: 5.64 MB)