Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WavolutionLab mix
Hey,

Here's my attempt to mix this song.

Really cool song, I try to mix it as minimal as possible

Ben

.mp3    Selwynn Jazz - 1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.15 MB)

Cool mix!
Another very respectable balance, although again you seem to have used the scratch vocal rather than the overdub -- the latter's much stronger. Listen in particular to the first "And whenever trouble appears", for instance, and the "love you much too much" at 0:57. Both of them really crack up because of the singer's head-cold.

I like that I can hear the guitar nicely here, but I'd also like to be able to hear a bit more of the piano at moments too -- you'll need to ride the faders to do it, though. Careful with the sax versus trumpets/trombones balance, especially during the trombone solo at 2:15, because there's a tendency for the saxes to dominate.
Thank for your well considered advices Mike Wink
Mate, having just spent the better part of three nights and a day trying to make sense of this track I think you have done a splendid job.

I'm envious of how smooth your sax section sounds. (I ran mine a little brighter, trying to make them balance with the brass - probably a mistake)

Did you have much of the room mic channel in your mix? I started with it really low down but pulled it up for the next one I posted to try to get a bit more of the whole band into the mix (again, probably an error based on my inexperience with big bands)

The only thing that I'd look at altering in your track is to raise the fader for the start of the trombone solo - the focus drops away once the singer stops without something else at roughly the same level in the mix.

But overall, I think the balance you have created is magnificent. I'm going to have to revisit my version again after listening to yours.

Dags

So many songs, so little time!
Hi there !

Very good mix ! Nice balanced, rich and "airy" . i like it !
Maybe the only thing i would work on is the lead vocal, as it sounds a little wet (but this is only personnal taste...) and lacks a little of body (around 200-300hz... not much, but it's kind of thin...). The rest are details, like Mike said... a little more fader riding and it will be all good !

Cheers "cher collègue" Smile

Hi there Ben, very good mix , very nice balance, and overall sounds.
Perhaps the vocals have a little too much reverb, and perhaps as mike said the overdub sounds better overall, so perhaps you should try using that one.
Anyways, good work , keep it up.

Cheers