Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Carrie Anne - HB Mix
Tricky tricky mix...what sounded so simple at first was a nightmare of clashing frequencies and an arrangement that runs out of steam half way through if one is not careful.

Main challenge was the vox....trying to keep the warmth .... but when he sings in the low register.. it clashes with everything!!! Plus there are all sort of constructive resonant build-ups going on with the vocal harmonies..and not all of them pleasant

.mp3    Hey Carrie Anne_HB_Mix_01.mp3 --  (Download: 7.06 MB)

Sounds great to me.

Good bass sound. Did you use samples?

Strings sound just perfect to me.

Also balances of the final war works fine to me.

Vocal sound is great, but I think that the opening (vox+piano) good benefit of some added warmth. It could be just an adjustment to piano that could fix that. For example sligthly more low-end to piano in opening might do the trick. And when the other band comes in, you could automate the hi-pass filter to higher setting where it is now. Or something else similar.

Some minor low end problems?
- I wonder if the lowest low end is slightly humming in certain spots. Listen for example 1:27 area
- Maybe the low end is too stereo for example around 2:38. In headphones it feels slightly unfocused. If you have any monomaker plugin, it could easily fix that problem. For example in master buss with 100 - 120 hz setting. Or if you have MS-eq, try to put the high-pass filter to master buss only to sides but not to middle, for example around 100-120 hz. End result should be more focused bass.

But anyway, very good job! I like it.
Hi Hb
Nice Mix I like it !
Good job with the balance of the piano and vocals and harmonica,the piano sounds like it could have a touch more bottom end and maybe less compression.This could be my room ,the bass sounds a bit louder than the rest of the music in the low frequencies with a resonance around 90hz Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(15-08-2014, 10:14 AM)Olli H Wrote: Sounds great to me.

Good bass sound. Did you use samples?

Strings sound just perfect to me.

Also balances of the final war works fine to me.

Vocal sound is great, but I think that the opening (vox+piano) good benefit of some added warmth. It could be just an adjustment to piano that could fix that. For example sligthly more low-end to piano in opening might do the trick. And when the other band comes in, you could automate the hi-pass filter to higher setting where it is now. Or something else similar.

Some minor low end problems?
- I wonder if the lowest low end is slightly humming in certain spots. Listen for example 1:27 area
- Maybe the low end is too stereo for example around 2:38. In headphones it feels slightly unfocused. If you have any monomaker plugin, it could easily fix that problem. For example in master buss with 100 - 120 hz setting. Or if you have MS-eq, try to put the high-pass filter to master buss only to sides but not to middle, for example around 100-120 hz. End result should be more focused bass.

But anyway, very good job! I like it.
Hi Olli, Thanks for your feedback. Glad you liked it.

Bass is supplied track with a bit of EQ boost at 400 and 1000 to emphasize harmonics.

Vox and piano...I was in two minds about HP of piano during 1st verse....automating HP frequency per you suggestions is ideal....

stereo spread for bass......I thought that i had either changed to mono already..or at least narrowed the pan....but it was untouched...so again, you're spot on...that stereo width is probably accentuating the hum/wobble of the bass

cheers
(15-08-2014, 10:31 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi Hb
Nice Mix I like it !
Good job with the balance of the piano and vocals and harmonica,the piano sounds like it could have a touch more bottom end and maybe less compression.This could be my room ,the bass sounds a bit louder than the rest of the music in the low frequencies with a resonance around 90hz Big Grin.

Hey Don...thanks for your feedback.

Olli picked up on piano as well.. Having an automated HP set lower for 1st verse would probably help. Piano is one of those instruments that for me that I'm not 100% certain how it should sound...i mean i can recognize a nice sounding piano...but taking some fairly neutral tracks and doing just enough to make them sound great..more practice required...probably need more suitable reference tracks too.

Re Bass....maybe its your room...after all, you did let the chainsaw go thru' to the keeper...just jokingBig Grin. My room/monitors aren't great so could be me...(new monitors have been ordered) ....there was too much stereo width on the bass which maybe is making it a bit unstable

Cheers