Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Carrie Anne mix - just another one
Hi,
I tried this semi orchestral mix, with the objective of keeping "natural" unsquashed sound.
A minimalist approach was attempted:
- only a couple of global busses for plate (UAD EMT) and small hall reverb (UAD Lexicon)
- channel strips plugins on most channels: UAD API on voices, UAD SSL on bass, piano and some percussions.
- voices is slightly de-essed
- orchestra is just panned, leveled and compressed with UAD 1176
-a bit of Massey (free) 2007 limiter on masters (just to get +3db, but no limiting was kicking in).
- minor volume automation
- summed with D-Box

Difficulties:
- if the exercise was to fit in the strange guitars, I failed since these guitars won't be found in the mix.
- May need to review the bass portion for better balance
- uneven lead vocal level with slight plosives that were annoying

It's mixed in headphones and not YET checked with monitors, so please have mercy! :-)
Pre-master, volume up.
Thanks for listening and your criticism.
cheers

.mp3    Hey 01.01.mp3 --  (Download: 6.92 MB)

.mp3    Hey 01.02.01.mp3 --  (Download: 6.93 MB)

"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
Monitor check, re-leveling and master. Version 01.02.(M)01. Added to 1st post.
cheers
from Switzerland
I like it, very good! (I listened 01.02.01.mp3 )

I wonder if the balance between piano and bass from 0:55 could be better. Now it feels that piano masks the bass a little. On the other hand, if you used the original bass, it may be a good idea to leave it to background.

Very nice strings.

From 02.20 onwards vocals get little buried. Strings could go little down there with unnoticeable fade. (Thanks for commenting my mix Smile ). Or some other solutions that could give just a little bit more room for vocals at the end.

But those were just very small balancing points that came to my mind. Sonically I like this very very much.
(21-08-2014, 11:14 AM)Olli H Wrote: I wonder if the balance between piano and bass from 0:55 could be better. Now it feels that piano masks the bass a little. On the other hand, if you used the original bass, it may be a good idea to leave it to background.

Very nice strings.

From 02.20 onwards vocals get little buried. Strings could go little down there with unnoticeable fade. (Thanks for commenting my mix Smile ). Or some other solutions that could give just a little bit more room for vocals at the end.

But those were just very small balancing points that came to my mind. Sonically I like this very very much.

Thank you very much. I can confirm no cheating (no replaced / resampled tracks).
Well spotted on the leveling and the suggestion to try opening up the voxes.
I'm leaving for a vacation and returning to the mix in September :-)
cheers
from Switzerland