Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Howlin - voelund
Mixed this when it came out, obviously I didnt win any plugins but I enjoyd the proces and fearlessly added both wolfs ad craws and made the drums and mix rather dark. Thats how I hear it Big Grin

.mp3    Howlin voelund mix.mp3 --  (Download: 10.43 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I still love those weird animal effects.

Vocal is just perfect.

I like the groove of chorus.

I would prefer to hear more those distant guitars in chorus. Now those synths are masking them.

Kick and snare in the opening are maybe too "pok" to me. Or maybe it was your idea to make kick and snare quite similar. But when the bass enters it's not any more problem to me.

I don't remember anymore what were my comments of your mix in the spring. Hopefully they were not too contradictory with my fresh opinions. Luckily I have no intention to be logical or coherent with my previous statements. That would be boring way to listen music. I just say what I feel just at this very moment. Smile
Usually I only review the most recent submissions but I see you post here a lot so I figured I'd give yours a listen as well, despite it being so long after you originally posted this.

Interesting use of the animal noises. Creative. First impressions.. kick and snare not as present as I prefer. Vocals seem way more out in front of the mix, kind of leaves the rest of the song behind. Chorus didn't seem very cohesive to me.. lacks energy. To be honest the whole mix seems out of balance, level wise. I know this probably doesn't mean much because it was a year and a half ago, but hey it is what it is.

Check out mine if you get a chance: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=8609

Thanks
-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650