Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Howlin
(02-03-2015, 03:39 AM)iShouldBsleeping Wrote: Well I know it was a long time ago, but I figured I'd give it a review anyway.

Snare seems a little weak, instrumentation is balanced nicely. Clap seems a little out front.. Chorus seems to lack midrange energy.. like the guitar is buried.. I feel like the lead vocals aren't as dynamic as they could be, and not really my taste of reverb. I would have like to hear more work done on all the backing tracks.. FX wise. Kind of dry for me.

I'm glad you enjoyed working on this, I did too. If you get a chance check out my version, thanks: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=8609

:p not so long ago, I think. My greatest shortcoming isand has always been a lack of vision, but only the very best engineers can really apply their vision without putting their stamp on top of the artist's. An engineer's vision is inconsequential if it isn't supportive of the music, and a musician myself, that's something I've tried to avoid... Maybe too much though, eh?

Thanks for your insightful comments, I'll give your mix a listen shortly.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(02-03-2015, 07:00 AM)pauli Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 03:39 AM)iShouldBsleeping Wrote: Well I know it was a long time ago, but I figured I'd give it a review anyway.

Snare seems a little weak, instrumentation is balanced nicely. Clap seems a little out front.. Chorus seems to lack midrange energy.. like the guitar is buried.. I feel like the lead vocals aren't as dynamic as they could be, and not really my taste of reverb. I would have like to hear more work done on all the backing tracks.. FX wise. Kind of dry for me.

I'm glad you enjoyed working on this, I did too. If you get a chance check out my version, thanks: http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=8609

:p not so long ago, I think. My greatest shortcoming isand has always been a lack of vision, but only the very best engineers can really apply their vision without putting their stamp on top of the artist's. An engineer's vision is inconsequential if it isn't supportive of the music, and a musician myself, that's something I've tried to avoid... Maybe too much though, eh?

Yes I completely agree. Trying to fuse your vision with what you think the artist's/producer's vision is, can be a very difficult task. I'm going to check some of your other mixes out. Maybe I'll find a project you worked on that I would like to try as well and we can share feedback again. I greatly appreciate your detailed feedback. You're a bit more graceful with it than I am lol, but honest feedback is key for improvement. Take care.
-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
(02-03-2015, 08:17 AM)iShouldBsleeping Wrote:
(02-03-2015, 07:00 AM)pauli Wrote:

Yes I completely agree. Trying to fuse your vision with what you think the artist's/producer's vision is, can be a very difficult task. I'm going to check some of your other mixes out. Maybe I'll find a project you worked on that I would like to try as well and we can share feedback again. I greatly appreciate your detailed feedback. You're a bit more graceful with it than I am lol, but honest feedback is key for improvement. Take care.

I'm always more than happy to share... From your signature it appears you've got better gear than I have, so your feedback is at least as valuable to me :p. Let's have some fun and make some noise.

Sounds damn smooth to me. Haven't heard the mulittracks yet, but I suppose that learning on material that might not be recorded in the best way just makes it easier to mix stuff that has.
(02-03-2015, 09:33 AM)Mixologist? Wrote: Sounds damn smooth to me. Haven't heard the mulittracks yet, but I suppose that learning on material that might not be recorded in the best way just makes it easier to mix stuff that has.

Thanks Big Grin

It's been a little while, but I don't remember this being easy to mix, exactly, but the way the tracks are set up is a little absurd and complicates matters. All of the stereo tracks are presented split into separate L/R files, and some of those IIRC are just duplicated mono files, so just on an administrative level you've got your hands full from the beginning.

After that, though... well, in my opinion the tracking is great. Amber has a great voice, everything's in time, in tune, and for the most part the arrangement is supportive of the music. So there's no major surgery necessary, at least in my opinion...

Download the tracks and give it a shot, it's a fun project.
(02-03-2015, 08:31 AM)pauli Wrote: I'm always more than happy to share... From your signature it appears you've got better gear than I have, so your feedback is at least as valuable to me :p. Let's have some fun and make some noise.

To be completely honest, some of the mixing was done at the studio I'm interning at. Got to work on the kick and few other things on some nice barefoot monitors in a treated room Wink
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Yeah, that definitely helps :p

You've got good gear at your home studio, too, looks like. I've heard nothing but good things about the athm50x and I wish I had the budget for hs5s... All of my mixing goes back and forth from AKG phones and m audio boxes.... Then the car... Then the boom box... Then the ear buds... Then the iPhone... Wash, rinse, repeat. And free plugins. Yep, I'm THAT guy lol

What's the treatment situation like in your home studio?
(03-03-2015, 06:16 AM)pauli Wrote: Yeah, that definitely helps :p

You've got good gear at your home studio, too, looks like. I've heard nothing but good things about the athm50x and I wish I had the budget for hs5s... All of my mixing goes back and forth from AKG phones and m audio boxes.... Then the car... Then the boom box... Then the ear buds... Then the iPhone... Wash, rinse, repeat. And free plugins. Yep, I'm THAT guy lol

What's the treatment situation like in your home studio?

My opinion is, if you're not in a treated room with super high end monitors with nice A/D converters, then the rest of the home studio stuff is all the same; it's your ears and experience that make the difference. At home I mix in a square untreated room, so I gotta do exactly what you do. My ATX headphones aren't enough to complete a good mix, neither are the monitors. As a matter of fact, I get the best tone and compression for vocals mixing them in my earbuds. For the bass, I usually have to bring my laptop in the car and mix in there because I have a subwoofer. It's a fun learning process though.
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
On a side note, I was watching some mixing tutorials by Ken Lewis, and he got to me to try a great mixing technique. The lesson was for vocals, but you can apply this to any area you need work on. I have lots of trouble with vocals, so I did a relatively quick mix using various different monitoring equipment, aka I did a quick mix on my ATX phones, quick mix on the monitors, did a mix on the ear buds, did a mix on a portable speaker. Then I took all the different mixes in the car (the place I can most hear flaws in my mixes) and listened to the pros and cons of each mix. Then what I did was take the best part of each mix and tried to use it in one mix. So I found that I get the best low end tone in vocals from mixing on my monitors and the best compression and high end from the earbuds. So then I just made sure to mix the low end on the monitors and the high end on the earbuds! Worked out great. You should give it a try sometime on whatever area of mixing youd like to improve.
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
(05-03-2015, 05:54 AM)iShouldBsleeping Wrote: On a side note, I was watching some mixing tutorials by Ken Lewis, and he got to me to try a great mixing technique. The lesson was for vocals, but you can apply this to any area you need work on. I have lots of trouble with vocals, so I did a relatively quick mix using various different monitoring equipment, aka I did a quick mix on my ATX phones, quick mix on the monitors, did a mix on the ear buds, did a mix on a portable speaker. Then I took all the different mixes in the car (the place I can most hear flaws in my mixes) and listened to the pros and cons of each mix. Then what I did was take the best part of each mix and tried to use it in one mix. So I found that I get the best low end tone in vocals from mixing on my monitors and the best compression and high end from the earbuds. So then I just made sure to mix the low end on the monitors and the high end on the earbuds! Worked out great. You should give it a try sometime on whatever area of mixing youd like to improve.

That sounds like a hell of a good idea Smile

Unfortunately, everything sub 150 hZ is a tricky battleground for me... I've got a little absorption effective in that range but there never really could be enough... I have to sleep in here Tongue Oddly enough, my car stereo is absolutely awful for listening for enjoyment, but it will punish any sort of sub bass excess with extreme prejudice.

Thanks for the tips!