Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Howlin
For what it's worth, I think this might be some of my best work?? Maybe?

This was such a pleasure to mix... Not work at all, really, when you start off with a multi of this quality. I'm excited to hear other people's interpretations, considering my own mix had me boppin around the house annoying the hell out of my dog...

...who did NOT enjoy the DogFX track... hahaha I turned it way up trying to figure out why the hell I couldn't hear anything and Patches started throwing a fit. 20khz not so much within my hearing threshold... but the pooch made a few rude remarks.

.mp3    Howlin Master.mp3 --  (Download: 10.52 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
I agree with you, Pauli... this is one of the best mixes I've heard from you! I really like your point of view on it!! I enjoyed the clarity of the instruments and some vocal fx you've added to the song. I remember this song because I entered the contest when it was announced. I didn't win anything, but anyway, I liked the song a lot and I've listened to it a lot of times after that; but anyway, I must admit that I like your mix better than mine Smile Good job!!
mixing since April 2013
I forgot to mention that I was crazy about the dog track!! I asked Olli and Voelund if they could hear something and I was glad to know that I hadn't gotten deaf all of a sudden Big Grin
mixing since April 2013
(05-08-2014, 08:19 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: I forgot to mention that I was crazy about the dog track!! I asked Olli and Voelund if they could hear something and I was glad to know that I hadn't gotten deaf all of a sudden Big Grin

I didn't think to check it on the analyzer until my dog started howling Tongue
Really nice, Pauli. Your treatment of the Hi hats made me go back and redo mine. Should I be concerned that I can hear the dog track Smile
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
Vocal sound is great.
And all the instrument sounds are fine to me.

Some easy and quick adjustments to test:

Maybe you could use more those guitars to create the sense of space. Close stereo guitar pair is just perfect, but those distant guitars could be more audible.

Kick: too much low energy? Bass: too much low energy?
Snare: I wonder if it sounds just a bit too much like hand claps. Maybe you have some sort of short dry delay that creates that feeling. Well actually it doesn't matter how it sounds as long as the bass, kick and snare create right kind of grooge.

Check the moment when bass enters 0:45. Maybe the bass is stealing too much space for it. If it were slightly lower, the punch of kick could come through better.

Your second version WILL definetively be one of your best mixes. Smile
Thanks man! I spread them out a little to give it a bit more movement. You know, funny thing is, I can hear the dog track in your mix perfectly clearly in your mix... which makes me wonder what's happening there. I looked at an analyzer and it showed a single oscillator at 20kHz or thereabouts... I just deleted the track because nothing that crazy high would ever survive the conversion to CD or mp3 and only really newborn babies can hear anything that high. Did you do something to them, or maybe I got a different track since I only just downloaded it?
(05-08-2014, 09:40 PM)pauli Wrote: You know, funny thing is, I can hear the dog track in your mix perfectly clearly in your mix... which makes me wonder what's happening there.

I didn't remember anymore if I deleted the whistle or not. Fact is that I couldn't hear it at all.
... just check it. I had made the dogFX track inactive. Maybe you heard byproducts of some of my effects. Around that area there's 30's vinyl-effect with vocals that goes to different combinations of delay and reverb with automations.
Great sounding mix Pauli. Though I would love to hear some nice delays on your vocals to give them some space and open them up.
Hey guys, thanks for checking out my work. I'm actually a little embarrassed how proud I am of this Blush

So taking in mind your suggestions, I made a few revisions.

The main snare is presented as two tracks, one of which has more of an "oomph" factor and the other is basically a clap. I originally mixed the clap in louder than the oomph because I liked the crack it had, and decided to stick with it for now. Honestly, other than very rudimentary EQ, I did almost nothing to the drums at all...

Per Sano's suggestions, I enhanced the delays that were already there, and made them a bit longer with more feedback, modeled somewhat on the gorgeous delays he used on his version... and that improved things right away in my opinion. Tops, Sano. Big Grin

And Olli suggested a little less low end energy and the kick and bass... so I turned the bass down a bit... and if you'll remember, the kick was presented as a combination of an inside drum "mic", outside drum "mic" and a sub kick, so I eased a bit of the sub out of the main kick channel. Also gave it a go with more of the Vibe Guitar for spaciousness, although it probably needs a more detailed EQ adjustment... for now I just rolled off the highs a bit more.

How's this versions?

.mp3    Howlin Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.52 MB)