Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Howlin - Olli H
I tried to make a modern sound, although I don't know what it really means.

I had made my purmix competition version already during the spring time. I just listened it again and I made couple of small changes. I mainly reduced the reverb amount here and there. Otherwise it's the same. Well, it's still quite roomy, but that was my interpretation back then ...

.mp3    2014-08-04-howling-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 9.66 MB)

I think you made a good job of giving it a clean, punchy modern sound, good job there

During the bridge the vocal esses seem quite pronounced, which I discovered was a problem with the layered vocals and not easy to deal with.
This is very nice, Olli. Very clean and open, despite the roominess. To me the printed FX on the guitars and arps make it pretty clear that I roomy sound was desired by the artist/producer, and much of pop is heading back in that direction... I think your interpretation is spot on. The guitars sound absolutely fantastic, and the lead vocal is very well controlled for my taste. Honestly, I don't have anything bad to say about it, I think it's great.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
I really like your electric guitar sounds here.

Occasionally I feel the vocals are a bit too distant. Sometimes it's hard to hear the lyrics well, especially when the singer is mumbling quietly.

I wished there would've been a bit more difference between the verse and chorus. The arrangement is staging us for a huge gear shift but it doesn't realize fully here. To me it sounds like the lead vocals are quieter in the choruses than in the verses. You could try a master fader boost of 1 dB for the choruses to get some more excitement for it.
Thanks for listening everybody!

(10-08-2014, 06:39 PM)Spede Wrote: I wished there would've been a bit more difference between the verse and chorus. The arrangement is staging us for a huge gear shift but it doesn't realize fully here. To me it sounds like the lead vocals are quieter in the choruses than in the verses. You could try a master fader boost of 1 dB for the choruses to get some more excitement for it.
If I ever open this project again, I'll certainly try those ideas.

Nice job! I think sonically thing are sounding good and clear.I liked how you automated the piano part up in sections and also your use of delays.Great job on the guitar part sound,What did you do to them?

The only thing that caught me, which spede mentioned, is the pre chorus build up sounds good,but then should of continued to a bigger chorus.I think by choosing the other keyboard part might of helped with this imo.
Great job!
Thanks for comments
I'm glad you liked the guitars. Typically if I manage to make good sound out of anything, the secret is normally that I haven't done anything at all. In this case I spoiled only minimaly the original sound with following minimal settings

CLOSE GUITARS
hi-passing -> max 3dB compression -> eq (see image)
small delay

FAR GUITARS
hi-passing+ cut 2K -> max 3dB compression -> little saturation
room rev + plate

Thumbnail(s)

Nice clear punchy backing track...really enjoyed it... Agree with some comments to date re vox....the answer to the howsl during choruses seems a little quiet to me.

Love the fade-out....you've chosen a good spot, just after some nice vocal ad-libs.