Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hollow Ground - Ill Fate Mix in 2 Hours
Hi everyone,

Im new to the forum. After reading and listening to some material on this website i really wanted to give it a go and contribute! Here is my 2 hour mix of the song "Ill Fate" by Hollow Ground.

went for quite a dark mix guitars wise as i think it suited its evilness! Plus, music gets too bright and loud nowadays Tongue

Tell me what you think! If you have any questions i would be happy to answer them.

Thanks!

Dan

.mp3    Hallow Ground Ill Fate db mix.mp3 --  (Download: 5.43 MB)

I can dig the want of a darker mix on this, but I think this hit a point of loss of definition in the drums and a little flabbiness in the low end range. Try listening to your mix at a lower volume and I think you'll hear what I mean.
Thanks for the input dude! I do understand about monitoring quietly, sounds fine this end to me. Maybe i need to use reference material more often. Normally just mix until i am happy.
You should check stuff from Sick of it all, Biohazard or newer bands like The Ghost Inside or even Throwdown. The latest Ghost inside has a really dark guitar tone that sounds like a typical podfarm tone. You might get a similar tone with podfarm and the DI files for Ill Fate if thats what you are looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coM4EozF8nc

anyway, your mix is missing clarity and air. hihat and cymbals are really low - i can barely hear them. the biggest problem is the guitar tone. Did you highpass the guitars? I don't like killing all midrange information from metal guitars but in this case it's too much low/midrange. maybe a wide cut at 300-400 hz with 5-6 db on both guitars would help. or is the bass causing this problem?