Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey Carrie Ann - Olli H
really enjoyed this mix....loved the pizzicato bass.

What i particularly like about your mix...is that you carried my interest all the way through. Which i think is one of the main challenges of this project.....getting through the instrumental sections without falling asleep.

Nice job
(01-08-2014, 06:11 PM)Olli H Wrote: EDIT new version: 2014-08-03
Hi there
I like this mix very much, getting very close to what I would consider perfection.
I have two comments in this direction -> perfection.

1) the automation at 2:16-2:17 is very audible (orchestra dimming). Smoothening it could avoid the listener to think "we're the violins suddenly gone?"

2) it seems most of interesting things happen on the center->right. I don't think I have a defective auditioning or that I'm developing left-deafness, since the vox is well centered. Even the (very nice) pluck bass seems to me to tend to the right. Basically with exception of harmonica and bow bass, and maybe timpani that have a low impact transient, I have the impression the mix is tensioning to the center right. An improvement could be inverting the panning of the orchestra and or distributing the percussions. I am the type of person that never breaks the snare-dead-center rule. So it could just be me.

In any case, very well done!
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
Thanks for the kind words.
Good points you got there.

I don't remember anymore, but I think I panned the top end of the plucked bass slightly to right, but the low-end should be in the middle. And the same thing with bowed bass but the top end to the left. So the very low-end (<120hz) should be quite center and mono.

(20-08-2014, 10:22 PM)Lammy Wrote: I am the type of person that never breaks the snare-dead-center rule. So it could just be me.

I am the type of person that quite easily and willingly breaks the snare-dead-center rule, if the snare is not a monster snare, it fits the genre and there can be found an balancing act (not too often). But the very low end I put always to dead center and mono.

Great mix overall, however that string ride down pretty much killed the whole mix. That was the biggest vibecrusher I've heard in a while. Why not push vocal louder if you have hard time hearing it over the strings.
Thanks for listening.
Yes, I agree, that ride down is much too audible and hasty. It happens... On the other hand, if it is a big vibecrusher, it hopefully means that there is a decent vibe to crush before that moment Smile
Lifes easy if you look at it right Big Grin
Honourable reaction.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order