Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who I Am - Uncle Dad
Hey guys I am not the biggest country fan but this song is real catchy and the vocal is amazing! I enjoyed mixing this song very much. My second post on this site! I love this site and how we can practice and hone our craft and get great feedback from other passionate people!

So take a listen and let me know what you think! Thanks guys!

--David--

.mp3    Who I Am MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.16 MB)

- Vocal sound is too compressed and sounds harsh.
- Mix is too compressed, it's lacking dynamics and is flattened out.
- Over all your mix sounds really strange. Like you've run it through a guitar cabinet. What are you using on the 2-bus?
+ You have a good general balance and glue.
+ Panning is really good too.
+ I'm really digging that you didn't put any large hall reverb on it.

Of course these are my humble opinion. Take what ever you like with you, throw away the rest. Feel free to comment on my mixes too. Cheers! Smile
Thanks for your feedback, it is appreciated.

So to give you an idea of what I did:

2 buss I run the slate vcc mix buss plugin, the slate tape machine, and the slate virtual bus rack, but just running the audio through the rack not adding any compression to it. It is amazing the sound it produces just running it through the VBC plugin without tweaking the knobs at all!

I did use the CLA-2A on most of the instrument track and the 1176 on the vocals using the basic presets for the corresponding instruments.

Then I bounced the WAV file and then opened another session and used the slate fx-g mastering plugin. I believe I used the compressor on that and probably didn't need to as it probably had enough overall compression, plus some of the tracks we get have already been processed some so probably need to go back and take some off to give back some more dynamics to the mix. Then I used the leveling portion of the plugin to bring up the level while keeping what dynamics I had.

So that was my process. Otherwise just used SSL Channel plugin for EQing and used a small room reverb to glue it all together and a little delay on the guitar and vocal tracks.

(31-07-2014, 05:51 PM)Amphibian Wrote: - Vocal sound is too compressed and sounds harsh.
- Mix is too compressed, it's lacking dynamics and is flattened out.
- Over all your mix sounds really strange. Like you've run it through a guitar cabinet. What are you using on the 2-bus?
+ You have a good general balance and glue.
+ Panning is really good too.
+ I'm really digging that you didn't put any large hall reverb on it.

Of course these are my humble opinion. Take what ever you like with you, throw away the rest. Feel free to comment on my mixes too. Cheers! Smile