Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carrie Anne
Toughie, this. Used the midi data to add some samples to fill out the sound. I have nice sounding harpsichord samples, but the part doesn't really fit the song at all in my opinion.

Weird grainy timbre in the upper mids in the vocals.. and very hard to balance the low end. Doesn't help that the double basses are stereo...

And then on top of that, there's no air in the raw tracks. Afraid I took it a bit overboard trying to fix that.

Anyway, comments are welcome and would be very helpful. Thanks for listening.

.mp3    Hey Carrie Ann Master.mp3 --  (Download: 7.3 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
hi, Pauli! so far it's the best lead vocals I've heard of this song. I really liked the way the strings sound and also noticed the new samples you mentioned you used. They really give a new view to the song. Good job in my opinion!
mixing since April 2013
Tough one I agree.
Vocal sound works fine to my ears, maybe little more deesser.
Somethin weird happen with piano when bas come in 2nd verse ? Not sure what it is, could it be somthin on pinao track or bus is triggered by bas ?
I love the bowed doublebasses but they are too loud and too alone here i think.
Overall you tamed this wild multi well Big Grin
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I agree with Voelund's comments.

Good version, I think. Vocal sound is pretty good, and that's the main thing.

Bass feels odd and hollow. Maybe it's too stereo.

Last verse is quite chaotic. Well, maybe it should be, but I feel there's too many different spaces to make a coherent chaos.
The mix starts ok ,piano maybe a bit loud and when the string come in I though you was in control but as it got to the end of the mix I started thinking oh dear, everything started to get muddy and all clashing.
Try some side chain or something like track space as lots of stuff in same range and something or more needs to go elsewhere.
Hard mix this for anyone. Lots of automation needed in this track.
Good job with the vocal ,maybe the piano could be a touch fuller in the bottom end ,the double bass track mono may fit better Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hey guys, thanks for listening and your comments. I think I was able to put them to some productive use Smile

Some changes I made:

Narrowed the width on the basses. Turned down the bowed basses and fed their compressors side-chain with the pizzicatos for better overall balance. Really tried to avoid as much compression as I could because this song doesn't have much in the way of dynamics to begin with.

Fixed the clumsy automation on the piano when the bass comes in.

Put a small tonal reverb on the vocals to improve the sound a bit more. More de-essing!!! But still not enough Tongue

Lots of work getting the equalization right when the orchestra comes in. You guys were right, it was all over the place. I tried some automated EQ on the strings bus to get them out of the way of the vocals a bit and deleted some tracks that were creating more congestion than they were worth. Pretty much rebalanced the entire orchestra.

I fiddled with the reverbs to try and get similar sexy room sounds like Olli got on his strings.

To me this version is a lot better. I hoped for a more clamorous and climactic finale, but the tracks don't seem to suit that approach, so I went for more of a "vocal on top" mix like the others.

.mp3    Hey Carrie Ann Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.3 MB)

I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(03-08-2014, 02:45 AM)pauli Wrote: Hey guys, thanks for listening and your comments. I think I was able to put them to some productive use Smile

Some changes I made:

Narrowed the width on the basses. Turned down the bowed basses and fed their compressors side-chain with the pizzicatos for better overall balance. Really tried to avoid as much compression as I could because this song doesn't have much in the way of dynamics to begin with.

Fixed the clumsy automation on the piano when the bass comes in.

Put a small tonal reverb on the vocals to improve the sound a bit more. More de-essing!!! But still not enough Tongue

Lots of work getting the equalization right when the orchestra comes in. You guys were right, it was all over the place. I tried some automated EQ on the strings bus to get them out of the way of the vocals a bit and deleted some tracks that were creating more congestion than they were worth. Pretty much rebalanced the entire orchestra.

I fiddled with the reverbs to try and get similar sexy room sounds like Olli got on his strings.

To me this version is a lot better. I hoped for a more clamorous and climactic finale, but the tracks don't seem to suit that approach, so I went for more of a "vocal on top" mix like the others.
Very nice!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
This begins to be very good mix of this material.

Vocal sound is great.
Piano is great.
Bass is much better now.
Harmonica slightly disturbs vocals articulation frequencies. If it were a solo it would be just fine, but when it just background texture, it could be slightly softer.
After that harmonica the strings sound little dull, or too controlled. Maybe softening the harmonica would make that effect disappear.
End war is great, but the clock is slightly too bright or loud to me.
Sounding very nice good job with the vocals and piano.
Agree with Olli, with the harmonica I listened to "Stevie Wonder-That's What Friends are For " to get an idea but still had trouble to get it to sit in the mix.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts