Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heart Peripheral - Olli H
Totally new genre to me. I've never been in disco with joyful heart - only with peripheral mind very long time ago - so I have no idea what this audience expects to hear.

To disguise my ignorance I consulted some Katy Perry songs: much more brightness and bottom than in my typical mixes is probably needed with this one.

I couldn't make the voice as bright I would have wanted it to be. The variation of different esses was just too demanding for me. On the other hand in the original mix they didn't seem to care about esses at all.

.mp3    2014-07-30-peripheral-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 7.64 MB)

Very clean mix as usual. The middle part is very good as you pulled the lowend drums up. I focused on the smashed snare part, but I like your middlepart a lot. Cool effect on the last loop that ends middle part.
My only concern is nothin stands out, not that it has to, just a thought. Sometimes I like to make some part louder than my instinct tells me, just to surprise and make a diffrent mix.

Your mix is louder than mine but doesnt sound squashed at all.

Good job
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
I think it sounds great. In this kind of music the lowend is quite important and you managed it well with a very good definition. Good work!!
mixing since April 2013
Thanks for comments Juan and Voelund.
I just listened Voelunds version, and I think I have to make a new main vocal sound for my mix. Also I might try to use the kick-trick that came to my mind while I was commenting Voelund's version.

About the smashed snare part. Although I liked it as such, but yesterday I thought it masked the kick too much. So I decided to use it more like a texture behind.

Glad you noticed the loudness. Normally I don't care about it so much (I'm quite good in using the volume knob), but with this one I decided to participate in loudness war, just to rehearse it. But I had to admit that I couldn't go to the same loudness level as the original. I liked that version, but maybe it was too loud.