Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carrie Ann - voelund
Work in progress, too hot to do more today.
Suggestions welcome, the tracks are full of resonances, tamed some of it ...

.mp3    Carrie Ann 01.mp3 --  (Download: 7.25 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Im not sure i want to name this ther result, its really hard makin the vocal sound right. I went with a mono plate verb on vocal bus, pretty bright to fill the topend and made some nasty cuts here and there, boostin a bit too to bring back life in it.
This is my mix of compromises, thinkin about it whats different today - I always make compromises mixin.

At least it sounds clearer than when I opened it up Big Grin

.mp3    Carrie Ann 03a lim M:S.mp3 --  (Download: 6.83 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
This sounds great to me. The more prominent role you've given the guitars is very interesting, and the vocal presence in the low end is brave. If it's any help brightening the vocal, I used a harmonic enhancer and dialed up the treble, but the bright plate is a nice sound. I'd pretty savagely de-ess the reverb return though, because it's accentuating the sibilance quite a bit.

The pizzicato basses sound great in the low end, but to my ears could use a bit more definition in the mids? And the strings are just a teeny bit dry.

Very good work as always, gives me some new ideas Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Good observstions. I agree, especially the verb dees and bas mid definition.
The artificial topend is worth givin a shot too. Very hard to eq that vocal.
Very good end result if one thinks the challanges of this song. Your version beats the original clearly.

I like the proud and prominent quitar level.
Thank you. Your version show I shouldve given the strings more work and better detail.
I blame it on the heat Big Grin
Good mix,i think the first is better than the 2nd.
The only thing I don't like is the harmonica its panned far too wide and sticks
out like a sore thumb.Good work
I agree I like the sound of the first mix ,the second sounds louder and vocals a little bottom end heavy Big Grin.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Nice job

Have to agree with takka..harmonica out wide is a little distracting...but I understand why you did it.. at the level that you've chosen, it would been battling with the vocals if it was more centrally panned.

Like what you've done with the strings....maybe an extra db here or there through automation would help once we lose pizzicato bass to maintain interest before climax
Listened the second (finished) mix

What a lovely vocal reverb. Mono reverbs are such an art form.
If you want a harmonica stick out less in a mix, you can usually cut the highs pretty drastically (like a wide LP filter @ 3 kHz), it's the high end which makes the harmonica sound harsh. I don't think it's the panning why the harmonica sticks out here, it's because it is the brightest element in the whole mix.
I felt the strings should've been louder from the beginning, I felt you lost a good opportunity to do a gear shift where the strings enter. If anything would've gotten lost under the louder strings it would've been simple to just ride those things up (I'm talking to you lead vocal).

But overal it's a great mix!