Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ben Carrigan: 'Hey Carrie Anne'
Reverb is a major key. Study nothing but verb for a month and experiment with it.
Then move on to something else like eq for a month and experiment .
I have mixed and done study for a minimum of 10 hours a day for 18 months,in another 5 years I might be getting somewhere. In the mixing game I am a pretty much a noob even with the hours I spend.
It has to be done.
(01-08-2014, 10:38 PM)takka360 Wrote: Pauli thought there was too much low end in the vox ,I disagree .
Technically I agree with Pauli, but from the point of view of experience I prefer your extra full vocal sound. Just listen Bob Dylan's old "I threw it all away". There Dylan's vocal sound is technically too muffled, dark and everything, but at the same time it has some odd quality that it keeps staying on my list of "most vibey songs". As I heard some special emotional qualities in your mix, I stopped making technical notes. (While I was making my own mix the only emotion that I had in the end was a huge irritation. Hopefully it's not too audible in my mix)

(01-08-2014, 10:38 PM)takka360 Wrote: Ps I don't give in easy.
I've seen and heard that.
Low end in the vocals is a matter of taste for sure, and I like both approaches. More low end certainly makes the vocal sound closer and more intimate, and of itself it sounds quite nice in Alan's mix. Mostly I wasn't thinking in technical terms, though... My opinion was that it felt odd to have the vocal so close and up front with an orchestra behind him. To me it makes sense to sink it into the mix just a little more. An example of what I mean is in some of the new work from Lana del Rey, although in that case the orchestra is synthy sounding.

Just my opinion though... I hope I didn't offend. The piano and bass very greedily eat up the low mids in the raw tracks, so a little less vocal there made sense, especially because it's so dark to begin with. I think perhaps my opinion is due to differences in what we listen to casually. On the whole I like this mix a lot...

Maybe it'd be easier to balance a darker vocal if low mid reductions elsewhere are automated when the vocal is active? Honestly, I'm terrible at automating eq so I'm not sure if it would work or not. It's especially tough when the cello comes in, because it's countermelody to the lead vocal and needs the space on the bottom end to sound like a cello.

This is a good mix in many ways, though.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Offend ,no of course not its a mixing forum Pauli.
All feedback is good feedback mate.
(31-07-2014, 09:02 PM)takka360 Wrote: I had no real interest in the song that's the problem, I cant stand it in fact.

LOL...in that case i wont say much. Nice job overall....i'm hearing vocal swelling a bit ...are you ducking piano.??..maybe the attack/release times needs some fine tuning