Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peripheral - voelund
had a great time mixin this one, found a cool plugin I didnt know I had, some modulation saturation delay thing, red and rockin.
I may have overlooked some details as its extremely hot in here by now, heatwave - time for a good break and a cold pepsi

Actually my computer fans make more noise than the music. Nearly Big Grin

OBS: New mix post 15 !

.mp3    Peripheral 02 lim.mp3 --  (Download: 7.71 MB)

Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Ahhh man, I love this! Great balance/levels, compression on the vocals is beautiful (this was really special for me), and spectral balance/separation is gorgeous. Mastering is very transparent, any limiting you're doing is completely inaudible, and the vocal harshness/sibilance, well... I dunno how you pulled it off, but it's great. I love the different EQs/depths on the counterpoint chorus vocals, too. Really, an awesome mix.

The only things I didn't like... there's quite a bit much wetness on the vocal in relation to the rest of the mix. It's not really muddying it up or dragging it or anything like that, it just feels a bit much to my taste. And I'm pretty sure the loops were separated the way they are for stereo fiddling like you used, but it was a bit uncomfortable for me when the heavier snare-sh drums come in. I think it'd be kinda disorienting in headphones but I didn't check. This could very well be a personal taste thing, too. This is excellent work, I'm really impressed.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Thank you thank you !
Actually it was posted way before i thought it was finished as a work in progress, but then again sometimes we dont know where to stop and this awful heatwave may have done one good thing here.
I got pulled away with the quarternote delay, as I found a plugin I really like I didnt know I had ...
So I forgot about other delays and verbs, just left it as it were.

For the BV eq I used a technique I invented today :-)
When doubled one vocal part goes through eq and comp, other goes trough SSL LMC-1 and a locut, both goes to bus with a yamaha compressor and eq.
The lowest bv also had a send to a saturation bus. I didnt care about tuning it as most of it sounded cool

For the mastering its a compressor preset I took from a Waves renaissance comp that wont open on my daw anymore, dont you just love it when you buy something and they tell you you cant get a new pass code for it ... Anyway I use the same setting on my mastering comp, pretty slow attck and lon release, and only workin 1 max 2dB. On limiter I pulld about 2dB and that it. had a little M/S thing goin too, sides locut 120 with 12dB slope, 39Hz locut on master eq. And some loq hiband boosting too.

Glad you like it - made my day - thx man !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
How'd you get the vocal sibilance under control so well? I spent as much time trying to fix that as anything else. Except that bass maybe Tongue
Fishfillet spitfish plugin on leadvocal.
hi and locut on 2nd leadvocal and through SSL LMC-1
Fishfillet deesser also on bv bus. Thats it :-)
Great sounding mix,nice solid and smooth.
Yep you and vox fx ,they just get the better of you lol
I think that's the one thing that spoils a lot of your mixes.
Thx and thx again for the reminder "less is more" also goes for vocal effects
There may be a revision 2 on this one based on you guys advice.
Thank you !
I just figure the mix as a whole should be wetter than the vocal in most circumstances, in terms of room effects, although the very wet vocals with the telephone eq are amazingly effective. It's a great sound in pop music. In this case in particular, the delay is so saturated on the lead vocal that it sorta blurs the line between a delay and a verb with a very long tail. The same effect turned down to just above inaudibility... Well I think the tonal effect would be great because it's already quite enhanced but overdone. And big verbs pushed waaaay back always make a vocal sound even more up front than they do dry.
I like this mix Niels ,great balance between instruments as usual , I like the vocal effects ,maybe a touch softer as Alan and Pauli already saidBig Grin .

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Sounds great also to me. Main thing is that I forget to analyze what you've done and start to listen for the song. And that's the mixers main job. So my comments are quite sparse.

I like how the drums move in stereo field.

With this mix you maybe could try to torture yourself a bit and try to give slightly more air to vocals. For example sharp boost somewhere between 12-16 k.

Haven't tried this, but you gave me an inspiration to try it soon. If I do it, I'll come with new comments with new perspective.