Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AM Contra 'Peripheral '
If you don't know how to side chain reverb? copy the kick to another channel as a ghost then a compressor and your verb then get it pumping.i use a waves r comp for that.
Another cool trick I use in electronic music all the time is the use that same side chain configuration on pads instead of the reverb channel..

There are hundreds of ways you can use this... Any instrument you use to key the compressor will come very far forward in the mix, so it's great for the all important snare drum snap. Or you can automate the compressor... Using the vocal to key it during specific moments where it's getting a little lost or in the chorus. Any song with a bright female vocal is a good candidate for this technique, since boosting the highs for clarity tends to give a harsh edge to the female voice.

And further, this can really help you dial in a radio friendly mix. If you want the pumping effect, triggering a mix bus compressor with the kick is a popular option... But it's going to limit how much you can compress the mix further during mastering, because the ducks can easily get uncomfortable. Instead, trigger a compressor on the pad... You will get a similar exciting effect, but the impact of further compression on the mix as a whole is negligible. And when it goes on the radio it'll get squashed to hell unless you get the mastering compression right. Big Grin
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
(21-07-2014, 06:23 AM)bmullen Wrote: Nice work, Don. I agree the bass synth sounds great.

Thanks Bob Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(21-07-2014, 06:43 AM)takka360 Wrote: If you don't know how to side chain reverb? copy the kick to another channel as a ghost then a compressor and your verb then get it pumping.i use a waves r comp for that.

Thanks Alan, will give it a go when I change my old DAW to one that has side chain capability LOL Big Grin !

(21-07-2014, 03:50 PM)pauli Wrote: Another cool trick I use in electronic music all the time is the use that same side chain configuration on pads instead of the reverb channel..

There are hundreds of ways you can use this... Any instrument you use to key the compressor will come very far forward in the mix, so it's great for the all important snare drum snap. Or you can automate the compressor... Using the vocal to key it during specific moments where it's getting a little lost or in the chorus. Any song with a bright female vocal is a good candidate for this technique, since boosting the highs for clarity tends to give a harsh edge to the female voice.

And further, this can really help you dial in a radio friendly mix. If you want the pumping effect, triggering a mix bus compressor with the kick is a popular option... But it's going to limit how much you can compress the mix further during mastering, because the ducks can easily get uncomfortable. Instead, trigger a compressor on the pad... You will get a similar exciting effect, but the impact of further compression on the mix as a whole is negligible. And when it goes on the radio it'll get squashed to hell unless you get the mastering compression right. Big Grin

Thanks for the great Tips Pauli Big Grin.

(22-07-2014, 10:35 AM)thedon Wrote: Thanks for the great Tips Pauli Big Grin.

I'm the last one who ought to be giving you tips LOL. Hopefully it's nothing you didn't already know.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!