Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk about it all - voelund
(21-07-2014, 12:35 PM)Voelund Wrote: Olli: I agree the long intro wont work for TV serie starter Big Grin I liked the outro but couldnt make sense of it there, so I moved it.
Actually I didn't realize that. I thought you played yourself a new opening to the song with a great ability to match the sound and feel. Smile I had faded the piano from outro, so I had no idea what was there

(21-07-2014, 12:35 PM)Voelund Wrote: The strings may be too loud, I like the notes though.
BV - strange, I didnt move anything there, only stretched some notes but thats not what you mean ?
I wasn't analyzing so deeply. I just felt that the strings destroyed the live situation image that I got to my head.

(21-07-2014, 12:35 PM)Voelund Wrote: Could be I moved somethin accidently and got used to it, then again a ghost choir there would reflect the feel of song, to me that is.

I'm having problems to understand the lyrics. I just don't hear what he's saying. Well, I quess if the word's of the song are not included neither in 50's rock'n'roll songs nor classical philosophy books, I wont know them. That's where I've learned my english.

The bass is creating a a low mid buildup with the vocals in the verses on a few notes and the cymbals are masking the upper frequencies of the vocal during the choruses making it somewhat harder to understand the lyrics... they're just a bit harsh to my ears, also. The reverbs on the backing vocals are a little out of context in my opinion... they're bigger and washier than the mix as a whole.

Apart from those few things I think it sounds great... vocal tone is excellent, compression applied tastefully, and most of the reverb choices sound really nice. Moving the piano outro to the beginning sounds a little odd to me, because it sounds like an outro, but I think that's because I've heard the song about 6 billion times now. A strong mix in my opinion... the balance stumbles a bit with the bass and cymbals, but with an automated peaking filter cut on the offending bass notes, and maybe a sidechain configuration to duck the cymbals when the vocal is active, and it's better than strong. Good work as always, love that piano tone.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Im gonna leave the mix as is. The cymbals are harsh yes, I tried though.
Vocal and bas hittin same note are goin to produce louder sound, Im ok with that.
I think the genre doesnt call for too much fance sidechainin and that. Also Im so old I cant really hear what youre talkin about Big Grin. WHAT YOU SAY ?
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Olli: i just moved the outro piano and found string sounds to fill in.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
(21-07-2014, 06:48 PM)Voelund Wrote: Im gonna leave the mix as is. The cymbals are harsh yes, I tried though.
Vocal and bas hittin same note are goin to produce louder sound, Im ok with that.
I think the genre doesnt call for too much fance sidechainin and that. Also Im so old I cant really hear what youre talkin about Big Grin. WHAT YOU SAY ?

It could just be my speakers, they're cheap and toppy as hell. And my room has serious modes which might make those buildups seem much more prominent than they are. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong entirely Tongue
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Hey Voelund, I loved the way you treated to the arrangement of the song. You could be a very talented producer or composer! Now as far as the sound is concerned, I can tell that I found your mix very well balanced with nice timbre apart from your crushes which are a little harsh and upfront and your vocals which are a little muddy. But most of all your mix is very interesting and enjoyable.
Thank you sir ! I would love to do this for a living ...
Crushes mean cymbals ? I agree. I didnt make friends with the drums in this one.
Thank you for the very positive words. I appreciate that !